Calling all Americans - football/soccer - like it?

Just wondering, there is no real football "culture" in the US that I knew of, so I was wondering if it was popular or not that's all.

They have 'soccer mums' in the States don't they? Quite a large segment of the population, one would assume from the position they hold in marketers' frontal lobes. That suggests to me that what the rest of the world calls football may actually have put down cultural roots in the US, albeit with a distinctly Amurican character.

Has Hollywood made any films about football yet? If they were to, which major stars would be featured?

no football culture ?

duh - if you don't know about it, you didn't look.

more people play soccer in the US, than any other sport. it is also the fastest growing sport.

it is just not compatable with the american television market (commercials every 10 min)

because there are no pauses, so the tv networks keep it down.

Is the game so deeply engrained in the culture that it is a "way of life" - as it is in many Eurpean / South American countries? And maybe just as baseball is in the US?

well i see your point.

for the kids ages 10-18 who are playing it

and their parents, yes.

the hope being they will get to play soccer

in college being the biggest driving force.

i see it as more of a personalized glory

rather than a societal glory (as you would

have with American football, baseball, etc.)

but i think that's good.

whenever i think of european football, i

think of fights, riots and hooligans. when

i think of South American football, I think

of those crazy announcers screaming

" gooooooooooool ! ! ! !! "

the us doesn't have either of those two

things, but the us do have good athletes

playing the game,again mostly for themselves

as opposed to for their country, or fame, or

whatever.

i think the us women's team won the last

world cup ?

• 3 weeks later...

Encouraged?!

===================

Bush "encouraged" by US World Cup win

WASHINGTON, June 5 (AFP)

President George W. Bush may not have watched the US soccer team down Portgual, but he is "encouraged" by the 3-2 victory, the White House said Wednesday.

"The president is fully supportive of the USA soccer team, and was encouraged by their first round victory," said Bush spokesman Scott McClellan.

Earlier, chief Bush spokesman Ari Fleischer said he didn't believe that Bush had watched the match -- the president normally has his intelligence briefings at the time when the game was broadcast here -- but that he "noted" the win.

"I assure you he has noted their victory, and has already remarked on it," said Fleischer. "The president talked about how good the United States is at sports."

But if there was a nod of appreciation from the country's most powewrful individual, there was scant recognition elsewhere, the Portugal game falling into an overnight black hole in soccer-proof United States.

Leading sports channel ESPN made no special effort at coverage relegating "the greatest victory in US sporting history" to the nether ends of its Sports Center programme.

In a particularly charged sports schedule, priority was given to the first match in the NBA basketball finals, Carolina's upset of Detriot in ice hockey's Stanley Cup playoffs, this weekend's heavyweight showdown between Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson and endless rounds of baseball.p

The US side came in to the finals as 300/1 outsiders, but now have every chance of reaching the last 16 with games against hosts South Korea and unfancied Poland to come.

based on what ? ? ?

does nobody in the States care about the victory, and the cup ?

I watched the game (taped) tonite with a bunch of people at a party.

just because the coverage is poor doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of fans taping, watching, etc.

but yeah, shame on the networks for not rebroadcasting, etc.

Based on what?

Well, how about these for starters.

- based on the fact that there is little media interest in the WC (check out all the major US news websites, and please compare with UK, European, etc)

- based on the fact that there is almost no mention of it on the TV. If they had not won, it would have almost disappeared into oblivion

- based on the fact that the % of people in the US bothered with soccer is extremely small compared to Europe. Yes there are fans that enjoy it of course - and good on ya! - but a TINY number in comparison.

- I think that's about enough for now.

Just saying that soccer in the US is nothing compared to the way it's a big part of life in many other countries, and that looking at the US media (until the win last night), you may not have known that the WC was on.

Hopefully the US "success" (if it can continue) will help soccer become more popular in the country.

oblivion

[This message has been edited by oblivion (edited 06 June 2002).]

alright...

why is everyone so obsessed with the fact that soccer (sorry, football) is not the most popular sport in the US...(this is the general attitude i get when speaking with any non-american about soccer/world cup...)

WHO CARES!!!@$##%! We have our share of supportors and fans...plenty of interest in the states, just not near the level of the other major sports we play...but its gaining popularity...

Why doesn't England have a baseball league?? What's wrong with you guys?? sounds silly right??

lets just enjoy the game for what it is...

and not be concerned about its place in american society...

in the meantime, GO USA... GO JAPAN

danz

rolleyes.gif

Sensitive guy this danz bloke, when it comes to issues like this. Wonder why? wink.gif

I personally don't give a $#@%@#, and I don't think many others do either. Why on earth should we care?

The whole point of the thread though was someone asking if soccer is popular in the US or not, as it is strangely absent from US broadcasts, US websites - compared with the rest of the world that is going absolutely nuts over it. That's all.

Did not barok ask "Based on what?".

...to which he got an answer. Fair enough if you ask me. Nowt to do with baseball, in the same way it's nowt to do with cricket, tennis, etc. Soccer is a completely different ball game, forgive the pun.

OK, this fun thread has maybe run it's course, kana?! This one could just go on and on - getting absolutely nowhere.

Let's just say "it doesn't really matter" shall we, friends?!

Mr Happy today.

[This message has been edited by brit-gob (edited 06 June 2002).]

danz, I feel your pain.

It must be horrible to come to the realization that what your nation has been calling 'football' is a completely different game. It dawns on you that you have been playing a lame version of rugby, and all the rest of the world knows it.

And England does have a baseball league. Actually we call it 'rounders' and it's played by schoolgirls in unsightly blue nylon knickers. It's always a tightly fought contest, and the girls have no place for spitting or chewing gum - it spoils their concentration.

But 'soccer' is surely finding its way into the American dream, even America's wet dreams. I read an article recently by some guy who prefers to dribble on copies of the Land's End catalogue with its 'soccer mums', rather than Sports Illustrated's skinny models.

I think it's a good thing, although US groundsmen should realize they're not barbers in ghetto 'hoods.

• 2 weeks later...

Great quote from a certain Mr Bush! See below

ON THE that day the United States football team confounded its sceptics by claiming a berth in the last eight of the World Cup, President Bush confirmed why most Americans remain unmoved — they know nothing about the world’s most popular sport.

Mr Bush phoned the team to wish them luck hours before they dumped a fancied Mexican side out of the tournament, only to admit that the game was a mystery to him.

”A lot of people that don’t know anything about soccer, like me, are all excited and pulling for you,” he told the squad.