...after a pretty miserable game.

On a more cynical (but real) note, I wonder if we will hear about the World Cup in the media anymore? All the newscasters with glum faces, etc etc - you know what it will be like.

zanen...

personally, despite peoples complaints about media coverage, I would have loved to see japan advance...

tokyo last friday was just unbelievable...it would be nice to see more of that...

danz

They did well until now against average opponents. They were also very average today. But lets not take it away from them - they did well.

As scouser to say, it will be interesting to see how Japan now treats the rest of the Cup, but I reckon most of Japan will get behind England and Prince Beckham ( < not my words).

I have just seen the sorry state of Japanese media news programs now with pathetically sorry, down and out, sad, serious newscasters bringing the news to Japan.

How pathetic.

Hard to bear Japan.

Amateur analysis here but they may have done a tad better with Santos (liviliest player) and Inamoto (top scorer) still on the pitch. A parting shot from Troussier perhaps? Rumours say he dropped Shinsuke from the squad because he'd brokered a deal with Perugia and Shinsuke wouldn't sign. I wouldn't put it past any manager in this day and age, to say nothing of an enigmatic and "difficult" one like Troussier.

My complaint with the coverage would be that it sounded very much like the staff at the Beeb (on NHK's subchannel) were willing to Japan to lose so that we experienced footballing Europeans can come over all superior to them. The same comments have been made before on the Guardian's page, saying how England came make absolute howlers in defence and still not be called "naive" like the Asian teams. One thing to remember if the Japanese coverage upsets you.

As for all you disappointed Japan fans, still one chance left to cheer for the hosts. GO KOREA! Go on, you know you can do it! Even if you fancy one of the Italians....

It was a boring game.

Anyway, the don't-understand-soccer-but-I-am-a-commentator newspeople this morning told me that Japan will get through to the Best 8 in Germany next time.

So there!