Lots of tiny places have now closed, but with 500+ skijo here still there's a lot left, especially in Hokkaido.

I can see how the Hokkaido ones make some sense perhaps, lots of them not being near lots of other larger skijo, but what about all of the small ones that are near larger resorts?

Did they ever make sense?

Perhaps many of them, especially in Hokkaido, started as local day areas or as adjuncts to schools.

As I understand it that's how many places in the Alps began, and only turned into resorts because the geography facilitated linkups that expanded both vertical and terrain.

I noticed using that search thing on the site (very cool) how many tiny places there are up in Hokkaido. Very surprising. Some of them are cheap too --- free!!!

Yes I think lots of the tiny places were just for the locals which was a good thing.

Can't see how some of the small places popped up next to major resorts, though perhaps it happened the other way round.

I think most are supported by the local yakuba as an amenity for the locals. Like here in Australia most reasonably sized towns like to have a public swimming pool. They cost a small fortune to build and maintain but provide a great facility for the locals. In a place like Hokkaido that has snow to sea level over much of the island for much of the winter it's not surprising there's so many tiny ski areas.

Is 'yakuba' those organised criminals?

You're probably thinking of the yakuza, Blimey cider.

Though some people might say the town office has some criminals in it too.

If it's a city, it's the shiakusho rather than yakuba.