Do so many gaijin here make their number one hobby WHINGING? This is japan, they do shit differently here than we do at home. So many people I have know have spent their whole time here fighting for a lost cause wether it be at work or on the slopes etc etc ...

If people hate it so much here, why don't they just go home and leave the rest of us who enjoy our lives here in peace ( with less on the runs too!)

Um, perhaps because they don't actually hate it here?

Have you never heard a Japanese person complaining about certain of the more peculiarly Japanese view of the world?

I seem to recall that when I was at home in the UK, there were certain things that really annoyed me a great deal of the time. But then at least I didn't have any little Lafcadio Hernia types chiding me for it... \:o

Hi, indosnm. I like your slogan: jesus was born for.... Especially the part: "you're a C#$'t" If you said that to me in the face, I'd probably roll on the floor laughing.

However, another thing I find amusing is seeing you whinge about others whinging. Reminds me of deedee being very serious about not being serious.

I, for one, enjoy hearing Ocean and the others whinge over everything, just as I'm sure he enjoys doing it. His whinging is quite obviously not out of anger or spite nor does he insult or debase Japan or the Japanese. If it were, it would be in poor taste. On the contrary, Ocean gives me the impression he is a knowledgeable and considerate English gentleman who loves Japan and intends to stay.

I also enjoy reading your input but I hope what seems to be a mud-slinging match between you two does not progress further.

I think that reflects the number of people who come to Japan just to make money.

It also reflects, I think, how similar Japan is to the west. Many things here are almost the same, and that can be intensely annoying. When something is completely new, we often tend to accept it at face value, if it's something we recognise but not quite right... If someone does the same thing here, but in a different way...

but as for moaning, could you be more specific, Indosnm? Are you talking about Oceans resort complaints and my smoking issues?

You may consider yourself a tourist here to gawp at the wonderful eccentricities of the Japanese. I'm here to live, work, pay taxes, praise and complain about local delights and annoyances as I see fit as a member of the community

indosnm, if you don't wanna hear the healthy "whinging" then don't come here. No one is forcing you to open you browser to this site nor are they forcing you to read the forum. It is your choice. Just as we are entitled to our choices so are we to our opinions.

I don't think it is whinging. It is venting. Like others say I am sure they are parts of your country that you vented about when you were there too.

I often find that people like yourself who whinge about whinging have not been here long enough to experience some of the intricacies that many of us vent about. I also envy these people because of this too and enjoy hearing their stories and reminiscing about my first few inncoent years here.

I have many quams about Japan. I have many quams about my home country. I suspect I will have quams about any country I chose to live in.

I would hope that people reading this forum are given a diffrent and more braod view of the Japan whose picture is painted so perfectly by many publications.

I am also here to live, Have J wife & bub (on the way) run 2 business etc etc. been here for 5 years now too! ( only came for 1 as so many do.....)

The whinging I was talking about was actually pointed at off the forum. in everday life. Yes I did mention the ROPES issue, but anyway...

Lately a lot of gaijin that I have met have been pretty negative and it kind of brings me down to be around that when i am trying to enjoy my life here as much as possible....

of course i have a lot of bitches and moans, wouldn't be human without them but i try not express them so much.

Like scouser a lot of J crew I know comment on the same thing, but if you reverse the picture "would a japanese surf bum whinge so much if he was stuck on the Goldie with waves and a busting bag of buds??" probably not! maybe coz they have it better in that case!??

lates..

Ps markie, yeah mate, I got card the other day with that quote! it was sent to me annon, pretty funny.. I finally worked out who sent it!

Quote:
Originally posted by indosnm:
Lately a lot of gaijin that I have met have been pretty negative and it kind of brings me down to be around that when i am trying to enjoy my life here as much as
I must admit that I know a few expats that seem to "love to hate" Japan. They jump on every little thing and it just gets so tiring. My boss is like this. He approaches outright rudeness sometimes.

I am the first to admit that I really dont like Tokyo, but I am enjoying what the rest of Japan has to offer. By choice I would never live in Tokyo*, I cant stand it, it is an ant farm. I only live here as it is where my job placed me. However I am glad that I am in Japan. Why am I here? job. No other reason. It could have been NY, Ldn, HK, Singapore just as easily as it was Tokyo. There is no sin at all in being here just because of the job or the money, but there is a sin in the attitude that you carry but only if it affects other people around you.

I really envy those that are working here and not have to do so in Tokyo. More to the point, I really envy people with careers that allow them to work out of the big financial centers, regardless of the country.

* Tokyo does however offer a 'big city job' (yes, I know that sounds stupid) and at the same time gives one access to quite a variety of lifestyle options. Of all the big city job type cities, Tokyo is actually a good place for me to be. If I am a whinger hear then I would hate to live with myself in London or Singapore.

Well, indosnm, actually if it were sent anon, then I'd consider it offensive. I suppose it's how you say it that counts or in what context.

If said in good humour, it is quite funny.

I really hate anon mail. I know I shouldn't since the person who sent it has no guts to back it up and hence his/her opinion doesn't matter anyway. Nevertheless, it does get to me.

Here I go whinging again!

Markie!

Was a friend who sent it to me... of course in good humor!

I knew it had to be from him..

he is a lazy basterd but managed to actually buy the card then post it to me...

incredible really!