game - get enderzero to Japan

And it's on! I will be in Japan in one week for...well for as long as I end up being there.

So what advice can you give me. What did you go through when you first moved to Japan? Anything I should be sure to bring cause I am not going to be able to get my hands on it there?

Amusing stories and anecdotes welcome.

See you soon!

a phrase book seems to come in handy.

wait are you moving here? or is it a long vacation?

if you are moving here...

what i recommend you doing is going to wallmart and picking up a bit of electrical stuff. like lamps, adapters, and powerboards. my parents wanted to kick themselves for not getting power boards, lamps etc while we are in canada. the cheapest lamp they could find was around 3000 yen and it looked like ass.

if you like oatmeal bring oats. oats are pretty expensive here.

i will think of more.

my next point is quite trivial but whatever.

If you like to eat hot thai curries with long grain rice (thai rice) instead of the plasticy short grain japanese rice, bring it yourself because i havnt seen it here yet. i have to bring it up for my parents from singapore.

japanese rice tastes fine with japanese food but doesnt taste very good with indian/thai curries, stir frys etc.

hey ender! Youre nearly here buddy! Will have to hook up with you and Barok for some welcome drinks and snowdays. I must say Im pretty curious to meet you.

Umm what to bring? Youre fav music, food, clothes etc. You can buy most other things and its not hard to take a trip to Tokyo for spending sprees.

Catch you in a bit. \:\)

Thanks guys, keep it coming. It is somewhere between moving and a long trip (adventure). I am not leaving a house that I can come back to here and I sold my car and put the few thing I couldn't part with in storage. So I guess I would say I am moving.

Good advice on the power - I'll throw in a couple power strips. Is it really hard to find decent cheap lamps?

I love curry, both thai and japanese...but I doubt I would make it even if I did bring it. I'll skip the oats \:\) .

Check - on the shoes.

Thanks zwelgy, see ya soon.

extension cords are a good idea aswell.

lamps will be alot cheaper in the u.s. i would just buy two or so really cheapys from wall mart. even if its just a clip on reading lamp. its hard to find a basic black lamp. everything is dressed up a bit and way more pricey.

maybe you should bring a phone aswell. my parents went to buy another phone today and the most basic phone was about 80 u.s dollars!

bring lots of little plastic spoons..... you kind of had to be there.

Bring surf boards and sell them here at at least 3 times the price.

If you have a dog then bring him as well (I did and am really glad he is in japan with me).

Bring your appetite for rubber, 'cause your gunna eat your boots when I do a backflip.

Bring lost of money as in Tokyo you can buy everything you ever wanted plus heaps of things you never thought you wanted (this applies to regular consumer items but I am really referring to the out of control sex industry. The stories I have heard are mind boggling).

Bring a propensity to share a bath with heaps of complete strangers.

ergo, bring tinea cream.

Bring the desire to leave the country with a hardcore full back tattoo.

Bring your girlfriend before your dog, otherwise many people will question your priorities in life.

see you soon dude.

When I was last in Japan I bought extension cords to bring home at the 100Y store. Wondering about the lamps thing. Don't think I really have the room.

Quote:
Bring lost of money as in Tokyo you can buy everything you ever wanted plus heaps of things you never thought you wanted (this applies to regular consumer items but I am really referring to the out of control sex industry. The stories I have heard are mind boggling).
eek.gif

Quote:
Bring a propensity to share a bath with heaps of complete strangers.
Why do you think I am so excited to get there? \:D

Quote:
Bring your girlfriend before your dog, otherwise many people will question your priorities in life.
Well I don't have a dog and I already told the girlfriend goodbye. She was certainly questioning my priorities in life.

hey crazy boy, you traded in your GF for Barok!!

Judging by Fatty's journals and the snow he and Co. have been getting with Barok i reckon you might be very happy with the trade.

A great relative value switch.

db

I need some quick advice on getting from Narita to Nagano. Please correct any of this.

I know I take a train from Narita to Tokyo. Can I take a train directly to Tokyo station or do I have to go to Shinjuku first? From Tokyo station I get the Shinkansen to Nagano. How often do these run? I always follow the rule of never trying to catch a train...just getting the next one that is there. And the shink will get me to Nagano-Shi proper, correct?

So I am travelling with one large suitcase, one packed board bag and one carry on backpack. Does anyone know about the porter services that take your luggage to your final destination? How long does it take, how much is it, and where do you find them? If I have to transfer at Shinjuku from the nice luggage accessible train to a regular JR line to Tokyo Station I will be hurtin for certain. Plus the idea of spending a little bit of time in Tokyo before I jump the shink minus luggage seems very attractive. As always, any info is much appreciated.

YOu can get a train called the Narita Express and it will take you directly to Tokyo and then it goes on to Shinjuku. This is more expensive but a bit quicker and easier than the other (skyline that goes to Ueno). Just ask at the information desk in the arrival lobby. It takes about 1.5 hrs.

The shinkansen run about once every hour. I dont know what time you get in but the last one leaves at 10pm. It goes right to the Nagano stn, not too far from your new digs.

The courier service to get your stuff from the airport is pretty reasonable, again found in the arrival lobby. It takes about 2 days to get to Nagano and I remember sending about 40 kilos and it costing 6000 yen, but the memory is a bit hazy. I think they had a surcharge or something for the skis? But seriously unless you are planning to wander around the stn/Tokyo area Id just take it all with you, assuming you can carry it. You need to know the address of course where to send it! I write this because I didnt know - idiot me.

The people at the airport are pretty helpful and can suss you out.

ender,

you dont need to go anywhere near shinjuku, no need to even know the name. Not all NEX go there anyway. Forget Shinjuku.

Your travel is easy:

Narita Airport -> Tokyo by Narita express (approx y4000)

then

Tokyo -> Nagano City by Shinkansen (approx. y7500 for a reserved seat, a little cheaper for non reserved)

Depending on your arrival time the NEX can be a hassle. According to a timetable I once consulted, there is no NEX leaving the airport after about 8pm. In that case cath the very easy and "Friendly Airport Limosne" Bus. It is orange and tehy sell the tickets at the airport - a really easy service to use. Just take the one that stops at Tokyo Stn.

The shinkansen you are after is called the ASAMA.

The toughest part will be lugging all your gear across Tokyo station from Narita express drop off to Shink platform.

I once arrived with 3 surfboards and had to get them trucked to tokyo. It cost y10000.

Right on! You guys are awesome!

My flight arrives on Thursday at 5:10pm. Tokyo station should be super busy at that time and I really like the idea of just giving my bags to someone at Narita (preferably not just a random traveller) and having them arrive at my door the next day. I'll see when I get there...but I am not so sure I want to be "sussed" out...or maybe I do ;\)

The reason I was wondering about Shinjuku was just because that was where I got off the NEx last time and I couldn't remember if it made any prior stops.

See ya soon

Your bags will take 2 days to get to Nagano from Narita if you send them, you won't find them there the morning after you land. Also, since you're arriving in the evening they won't get sent until the following morning - make sure you check to see how many days it'll take - just in case this means a 3 day instead of 2 day wait. It shouldn't , but wise to check.

hell yes, spot on!

toothpaste here tastes like childrens bubble gum. I have found one brand that actually hurts a little (like TP should). That brand is White&White.

deoderant: they crap they make here doesnt work, and I am not a heavily sweaty person. Many Japanese will claim that they don't sweat. My nose disagrees when on the train. They smell as much as the next guy. And if they don't sweat then what is it they are always mopping up on their faces and necks with the silly little cloths? (I once tried to explain that the evaporating sweat cools you down, as nature intended, and by removing it you will actually heat up. Obviously no Japanese person wanted to believe).

so you're leaving soon- don't know if you'll get this in time to make a quick run to the supermarket. but if you love mexican food like i do, bring over a bunch of fajita/burrito/taco seasoning mixes and flour torillas. You can find some el paso taco kits at the tokyu departo in nags, but its expensive.

I am HERE!!!

I haven't caught up yet on the forum yet. Using the slow ass connection the Nagano pref. offices until I get a connection at home. Nagano seems pretty cool. Think I'm hittin 47 tomorrow for my first taste of Japanese snow.

See ya on the slopes

Enderzero... sounds like a big move. How did you get a job over there so easy? What do you do for a living? I know we would all like to be professional snow-bums but somehow it doesn't seem to work out.

db... surf has been pumping here in sydney over new year. Byron was off its tits for the new year period. 4-6 foot and goin orf! Broken head, kings, ballina breakwall... got back to sydney and it was still going off! Swell finally backed off on about the 5th. Very surfed out now though... still!!! By the way db, I know you are a bloke now... that hakkoda story was good stuff, but what do you do for work in tokyo? Apart from hang out on the sj forum all the time???

Im thinking about getting a job over there this year so I am just scoping my options. Cheers everyone ;\)

Oh, db... you can get NORMAL Colgate toothpaste in tokes! Its just a bit hard to find. The normal minty flavour we have here. Maybe those international type supermarkets in those posh suburbs like aoyama might have it?! I cant remember though. Decent toothpaste is a necessity though for sure!