Good Mexican(food) in Tokyo

There is an excellent, authentic Mexican restaurant called Salsita about 5 minutes' walk from Ebisu station. It faces the Yamanote Line tracks (left hand side as the train goes from Ebisu to Shibuya).

Salsita's soft tacos are much like the ones you might get at King Taco in East L.A., or in some of the authentic Mexican places in south Texas, Southern Cal or Mexican border towns like Tijuana and Juarez.

They make incredible thick delicious frozen margaritas by throwing raw fruit, tequila and ice into a blender.

They have a homemade cappucino sherbet which brought a tear to my eye. It even has a bit of tequila in it, but you can't taste that.

A pretty complete menu in a tiny little restaurant--soups, appetizers, mains, booze and beers, desserts... The cook lived in Central and South America for years and he is great. It's almost like home cooking...

I went twice a week for awhile after I found it.

Cheap too. Try to get there around 6 pm or shortly thereafter. It is a small place and fills up quickly.

Here are a couple under-informative reviews of it:

DOiT\'s review

Asahi.com\'s review

The alternative is the fake, cheese-soaked American style "Mexican" that you'd get at a chain like El Torito or Zest (several in Tokyo) or the somewhat better but boring Fonda della Madrugada in Harajuku.

Adios, amigo sombrero.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by badmigraine:
There is an excellent, authentic Mexican restaurant called Salsita about 5 minutes' walk from Ebisu station. It faces the Yamanote Line tracks (left hand side as the train goes from Ebisu to Shibuya).

Salsita's soft tacos are much like the ones you might get at King Taco in East L.A., or in some of the authentic Mexican places in south Texas, Southern Cal or Mexican border towns like Tijuana and Juarez.

They make incredible thick delicious frozen margaritas by throwing raw fruit, tequila and ice into a blender.

They have a homemade cappucino sherbet which brought a tear to my eye. It even has a bit of tequila in it, but you can't taste that.

A pretty complete menu in a tiny little restaurant--soups, appetizers, mains, booze and beers, desserts... The cook lived in Central and South America for years and he is great. It's almost like home cooking...

I went twice a week for awhile after I found it.

Cheap too. Try to get there around 6 pm or shortly thereafter. It is a small place and fills up quickly.

Here are a couple under-informative reviews of it:

DOiT\'s review

Asahi.com\'s review

Adios, amigo sombrero.gif
is it the place that has a huge heineken sign near it/above it? i think i pass this place when i walk home from ebisu. been meaning to try it.

Stay as far away as possible from the El Torito (or was it El Toreador) in Shibuya. Worst service I have ever had in my life. They brought each one of our dinners out serperately. By the time then next person's was out the previous had finished. Plus it was inconceivably expensive. Something like $250US for 6 of us with drinks.

Went to a poor one in Shinjuku. I don't remember the name but it was a small place downstairs on the east side near a Lotteria. Small portions, slow, expensive. Tiny salads for 1000 yen. Fajitas came with only two tortilla for 1800 yen. The waitress said we'd ordered loads, but hardly anything came. None of it came at the same time, but I'm used to that now coz its often the way here.

The only reason I remember it being next to Lotteria is because we were still hungry enough to go there.

This is not about Mexican in Tokyo, but rather Suwa. We were recommended to go to a place called Domingos by a Suwa sophisticate (brand goods but never been outside Nagano :rolleyes: ) We had hard tacos filled with what appeared to be dog food, shredded cabbage and a slice of 'hotel cheese'. And the guac was 80% mayonnaise. Mmm, tasty and authentic.

huaaAARKkk bllOOort!!

that one was closed. but i went to one in roppongi, v.close to gaspanic and it SUCKED! it was sooo expensive. the food tasted ok, but it was no way worth the money. and the drinks were crazy prices. anyone been to that one?

I had a chance to visite Salsita's and it was definatly worth the price & wait... Good atmosphere, food and drink (pisco sour). Dont forget to try the homemade refried beans as well as the mexican (spanish?)rice. The only down side was the samll portion size, but hey its japan...

Thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
I hear you can get some good mexican food over at Nekobi's.
it's true. I get shipped flour tortillas and fajita and taco mix on a regular basis and can make fabulous guacomole and bean dips. i'll throw a fiesta for the nagano peeps sometime soon. in the meantime, the tacos at the liberty bar in nags arent bad.
  • 1 year later...

I found a small Mexican restaurant "El Paso" only 3 minutes walk from my apartment. This restautant opens only weekend night and has very good reputation. I would love to go but seems like it is not open for a while. When I try this restaurant, I will write a review. Looking forward to it!! \:D

Thanks for the heads up badmigs. I think this place is very close to casa del Mistersparkle, so I will be checking out this place with him soon. I love hearing about and checking out great restaurants. Going out for dinner with my beautiful girl and some good friends is about my favourite thing to do right now. Love it, love life! \:D

Any other recommendations for good restaurants out there? Where is the best Thai in Tokyo?