i dont get it. I was in very cold parts of europe for 3 weeks and did not use a heater once. I come back here (tokyo) and am freezing my bum off inside my house.

I even spent 7 days at 2500m where it was always at least -7 during the day. I didn't even use a heater then. Hell, I even slept with the window open an inch for fresh (rather thin) air.

I suspect that my place in japan is made of spit, chewing gum and old cardboard.

Yeah, I really felt the difference when I went back to England. You can walk from the kitchen to the toilet without your nose going cold and starting to run. Then you can sit on the toilet without having to wear a hat and gloves. I think it's called "civilization".

In what we call the Middle Ages, Japanese craftsmen built lots of complex wooden structures with great precision without using nails. They made swords that were tempered and ground to an incredibly high standard.

Now they build flimsy houses.

Insulation is a big problem, but so is ventilation. The reason you see icicles on so many homes is that the loft is not ventilated. The difference in temp on both sides of the roof causes snow on the roof to melt, flow down the roof, and then refreeze at the eves, creating ice dams and icicles. Poor ventilation for the inside of the house creates condensation which seeps into and nullifies what insulation your home has.

My present place is a crappy prefab with some modifications, such as rickety double-glazing and heated water pipes outside. Funnily enough, the parts of the pipes inside the house still freeze on cold days. I used to live in imported slot-together Canadian place and it was ten times warmer. The internal doors and windows were at least twice as heavy as my place now.

I hear you could also drive your dirty great 4WD v-hickle into the Canadian accomodation without knocking it over...

Recently a crane ran into the aerial cable for our telephone, tearing it off the house. The whole structure swayed violently from the tugging before the cable came free.

Ive been told that it is easier to heat a house than cool it down so these places are made for hot summers. To be fair my ancient house is actually reasonably cooler in summer than some of my friends but ****** FREEZING in winter. Luckly Ive got a kick ass heater and watched the workmen drill a hole in the wall for the chimney - the walls are made of mud with reeds holding it all together I kid you not.

One of the reasons for the icicles is that there is little if no insulation in the roof. I climbed up through the man hole in the cupboard one time out of curiosity (hey it was there) and found about 2cm thick insulation. What a load of bollocks. That doesnt do bugger all! And the loft is ventilated, its just all the heat escaping from through the roof that causes the icicles and whumps of snow sliding off at night.

My pipes are insulated and thankfully havent frozen this winter yet, but the shower part that sticks out of the wall often freezes, my toothbrush freezes, the toothpaste freezes, the stuff in my cupboard freezes, if load of people stay and dry ski gear the curtians freeze to the windows, the front door freezes, boots freeze to the genkan floor and the front door and windows freeze shut or open...

The truly bizare thing is that it doesnt bother me too much. I guess I spend a lot of time outside and shovelling snow and the coldest time is when Im in my toasty bed. Ive watched the heater and it drops a degree every 3 mins when you turn it off. Brrrrr

What I dont get is that in NZ we dont have central heating and sure its not as cold as here but the houses in NZ are toasty warm and stay that way.

I shouldnt complain, summer was just as bad.

My house in summer was always 36C inside when I got home from work. In winter it is a steady 5C when I come home.

Last months power bill was Y11000!! Over the medium term insulation is far cheapert than the power bill. However, landlords dont pay the power bill but they pay for insulation should it be installed, so they dont ever install it in houses they dont plan on living in themselves.

Japan is so proud of having 4 seasons (big ****** deal!) yet they cant even create houses that are designed to cope for more than a few weeks in spring and autumn.

I live in a mansion \:D sounds impressive aye? but seriously modern apartment buildings are pretty good, my place is cool in summer (4th floor) pretty breezy, and in winter it holds heat well, one touyu(kerosene) heater.

In my old company place I and my roomies once hada a 26000yen power bill in summer. yep two six 26

eek.gif

so as I was shivering in one of the corners of my apt wrapped in all my ski clothes and blankets, waiting for my heater to finally kick in, I had an idea!

what if you lined the outside walls of your home/apt. with that space blanket stuff...you know, the thin shiny aluminum foil looking stuff...I might give it a go...but be careful not to put any holes in the walls, and tape might be risky, because when its time to remove it, the whole wall could go down as well...I might have to think about this some more...

danz

Hey Danz some people (Nekobi) tape up their windows with bubble wrap to get some home made double glazing going and it actually seems to work. If youre not too worried about creating a fire hazard I know people that have filled their roof cavities with newspapers/PET bottles. People cover the foundation ventilation holes with snow foam, cover windows with thick blankets at night etc. There is even an urban myth of someone in Nagano that covered their walls with a newspaper a few cms thick - instant depression if you ask me!

As for me my house is a sieve with so many draughts. Resistance is futile (minus 1 in my bedroom this morning when I got up for a wee, brrr). Good luck!

When I got here my room was sooooo cold. I noticed the windows was made of very cheap and very thin plasic. So I nailed a comforter completely covering it. My room is on average 8 degrees warmer now. An added bonus is that it stays nice and dark all morning long.

i have really, and i mean really thick curtains over my windows. so it goes mosquito screen, window, shou-ji (sp?), and then really thick curtains. it seems to keep some of the heat in, plus it blocks out all the light. i put my heater on at night and i wake up in a sweat.

You folk withe exception of db, danz(Tokyo right) and amandaism are making me jealous! You live in the mountains or close to them and you get to ride more than any of us and now you have the gall to haunt us with your cold problems!!!

Please have some respect to Tokyoites \:\(

db you need to eat more! Fatten up! Change you handle to "love"! \:D

Yeah mogs you are right. Mountains close but cold house is part of the parcel. We shouldnt complain so much and I have personally berrated myself for being such a winge. To be honest it doesnt bug me too much, just when stuff freezes you go OMG eek.gif and think I will be laughing about this with my grandkids, when the earth used to be cold.