depends on what you want to do?

if your 190cms its hard to find skis over your hieght Im 171cms and I use 179cm skis or 169 for pipe.

I used to use 204cms straight skis. It helps to know the shape of your ski also my powder skis are 116 88 104 179cms or 135 115 125 180cms

pipe skis 177 or 169 about 105 75 100

these days length and width and radius are important to know.

I'm 183 cm tall

Bigstix are 180

1080s are 177

Next year I want something in a 180-190 though. Ski length really has nothing to do with your height. Its more a representation of your ability, terrain and conditions you ski.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Ski length really has nothing to do with your height.
I agree with what you say that "Its more a representation of your ability, terrain and conditions you ski", but to say it has NOTHING to do with your height is a bit over-stating it.

Well I have 2 pairs of good skis.

I want to have 3 pairs though.

Next years present will be:

190 bigstix 8.6 with fritschi freeride bindings

I think that will be it for a while unless I update my 1080's.

But it will be nice to have the park skis for early and late season and then mid fats for most conditions (although some might say 86cm waste is a fat ski) and then super fats for normal Japan powder days.

After that it will be new boots. For which I am thinking of Scarpa Denalis.

I have 3 skis that rotate in and out during the season but my main pair is a fattwin. I would love a gotama.

Ski length size depends on what you want to ski?

Too long and fat and the trees in Japan come up really fast, but then the long as lines off of the tops around Hakuba become less tiring.

I want Gotamas 185 or there abouts but that is a dream cause the wife gets skis next.

Gotomas. Nice looking ski.

But back to length.

So if I were silly enough to spend my time bashing gates instead of skiing powder I might ski on something about 150-160 cm's

If I find myself in the future skiing a big line in BC or Alaska I might want something close to 200 cm's with a waste of more than 10 cm's.

So ski size does not really depend on height but more like what I said whatever you plan on skiing. So to answer the original question: should I buy a 170 cm ski just cause I'm about 180 cm's tall. No.

If anything I would personally like my next pair to be about 190 cm's. Not going to be exploring the tight bush of Japan forever. :p

I have 2 pairs of skiis in rotation (2 more back in the states, but I have no use for them now...)

back in the day I remember picking skis that were like a fist or 2 taller than me...but like everyone said above, now it is about shape and purpose...

there were definetly a few peak runs in niseko when I wished my 180 v-explosives were more like 190s...but otherwise, I find 180 to be a perfect length for the type of riding I do (for my mid-fat and fattys...)

danz

I'm 195cm in height and I ride Sally PR's @185.

Like has been said ability and type of terrian are more the determinig factors in Skis now.

I gotta check up on these Gotamas! Maker?

Quote:
Originally posted by mogski:
Like has been said ability and type of terrian are more the determinig factors in Skis now.
Wouldn't weight have to be a reasonable factor here too? I'm no physics genius, but I would have thought that if you're a 50 kg girl, it doesn't matter what your ability is, you need to put in more effort to drive the ski than an 80 kg guy. In which case, you would choose to go shorter because you can pressure a 170cm ski more than a 185.

And on those gotamas - why are all of next seasons fat skis so... butch? Last years cool blue Kahunas are coming out shorter next season, but are going to have some kind of Iron Maiden thing happening. The Gotamas aren't much better, while the seth pistols and big stix are both frankly ugly...

I know that it doesn't change the performance of the skis, but why can't someone come up with something that doesn't look like it came from a metalheads recycle bin? And I'm not talking hibiscus covered K2s. Just something with a little class. confused.gif Sorry feel free to get back on topic.

I may teach english however I have never given any inclination that I have a grasp of the language \:D

Gotoma is made by Volkl

But try a google search for Volkl Sanouk

That is a wild looking ski

As for graphics. I like the way K2 is going. It may not appeal to some however the Seth Pistol is a pro model by Seth and he had a say in the graphics.

As for my bigstix 10.6. They are pretty boring looking. But Fischer isn't known for it's cool looking colours. The bigstix 106 looked kind of retro but mine are kind of ugly.

On the subject of ski length - how does everyone measure their skis? I find that the manufacturers stated lengths vary.

For example, I bought a pair of 173 Line Motherships this season, but when I checked them against my old 167 Olins, they were practically the same. Also compared them to the 167 Phat Luvs, and the phat luvs seemed about the same too.

Is there some standard in the industry - is the ski measured tip to tail, or running edge, or do they just pull a number out of their backsides? confused.gif

consider that your motherships are twins so they loose some height. I think Smaller people really need to think about size more. ie my little wife cant handle 180 fats 170 is her AK size.Me 190 is enough 200cms is getting a bit big for my height and wieght.

Next years graphics are better on the fishers and the atomics. Volkl is not really a girl ski company. The salomon pocket rockets are light blue and white should be a nice color for the ladies. Also Atomic will make less skis with built in bindings to decrease wieght and expense.

Line will make a mothership light cheaper and funky blue looks good for the ladies again. Rossis arent bad they will make a white and red ski with freddy cutting a ladies throat.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Volkl is not really a girl ski company. The salomon pocket rockets are light blue and white should be a nice color for the ladies.

Line will make a mothership light cheaper and funky blue looks good for the ladies again.
YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH MEN ON BLUE SKIS?!!??

I have ways of finding where you live you know! :p

i must agree that the fischer bigstix 106 are mighty ugly!!! mine are the ones with fluoro green and black spots and some sort of black and white texture thing going on. i'm working on covering up the ski with stickers. got smurfette on there for that feminine touch lol.gif fortunately i like the ski more than the graphics (although they almost put me off buying them, they are so ugly). i think my pow air graphics are pretty cool. no stickers on those \:D

anyway, back to the topic:

big stix 106, 170cm

pow airs, 158cm

me, 157cm (according to the height chart)

... but i'm actually taller than the pow airs when we stand side by side...

oh, and 50ish kg...

by the way, i think the seth pistols look cool (that's not cos jared has them either!)

and i almost forgot, my very first ski... some rossi cuts, 150cm and super carvy. only ever been on straight skis a couple of times when i was starting out and using rental gear, and that was about 4 years ago...

Shimba, I know the ones you mean... I was thinking of getting them, but at the time was planning on heading home to Oz - didn't figure they would get much use there, and the graphics just sealed the deal. Now if they had been this years graphics, I might have been a little more tempted...

Thanks for the info guys. I figured that was probably it, but someone told me once that different manufacturers measure differently - e.g. a K2 180 would be longer than a Rossi 180.