It may be expensive but if you were going to shell out the dough for heli skiing going with H2O is the best bet for steep skiing.

Mike Wiegles in Blue River BC costs more than that for a week of mellow glacier skiing.

Dean Cummings is one of the best.

Not in my dreams!

Toque, do you know this Dean Cummings, would it be a "no go" for a 5. season semi lame snowboarder like me? (not that i would ever get permission from the Ayatollah)

ATB

Thunderpants

It was actually in a couple of ski magazines and then some stuff that I read online. I need to double check it though - I'm not entirely sure it was Coombs. One of the big name guys has lost a lot of respect recently though. I'll take a look when I get home tonight and post it up.

Jamie Pierre is getting a lot of flack. Not sure why though. He is the North American record holder for largest cliff drop at 185 feet or something.

Doug Coobs is very well respected. He along with Scott Shimdt (not sure how to spell it) and others pioneered steep skiing back in the 80-90's.

Coombs is a bit crazy though. In a powder interview or maybe couloir he is quoted as saying ''Powder is overrated. Give me a 60 degree hard pack slope over it anyday''. Or something like that.

dean_action.jpg

Dean Cummings has appeared in numerous MSP movies and is one of the best freeskiers out there.

spbeautyrun.jpg

And you can ski these kind of lines at H2O or

13_fullPath.jpg these kind at Mike Wiegeles for mid winter price of 8500 cdn

I will never ski at either unless fortune finds my door but I know Wiegles offers steep stuff if you get a group together. Ive seen vids of crazy lines. What the pros ski at H2O and what you get to ski is different but still crazy.

I think you are hearing bad things about the guy who led craig kelly's group last year. stuff about him beening cocky. But before that the same people said he was one of the best.

toque and FT - just found what I was looking for. It was Coombs I was thinking of. In the Feb 2004 issue of Powder there are a couple of letters that don't talk kindly of the guy. Some guys calling him egotistical, self-centered and a knob (?). Another letter about him not being completely certified by the professional association(s) of mt guides and being too cocky. I also did read some bad stuff about him on the Powdermag message board.

I'm just reporting what I've seen. The guy is a stud as a skier in my book. Sounds like he may be different as a guide. I don't know - I've never skied with any of these guys and probably never will. In my opinion, these heli operations are way too much money for the average joe. I'd rather hike, camp, and earn my own turns. If I win the lottery some day though, I'll get in touch with you guys \:\)

Toque - this is also the same Powder issue that features Jamie Pierre. That dude is fuggin' nutz! I hope he keeps it in check. Everytime somebody has gone for the big one, bad shit happens.

Why is knob so perplexing for Yanks? ;\)

That Wiegeles pic is mighty odd. Here is a huge bowl that just invites wide swooping turns and out of control straightlining ... and these people have done the fagwagggle down it like a group of Japanese synchronized skiers in his n' his one piece suits. Wass gibst?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Why is knob so perplexing for Yanks? ;\)
I was more questioning the use of knob, not the term itself \:\) As a surfer, 'knob' in the US has been around for many, many years. The connotations of it........just didn't agree, dig ;\) Coombs in no way is a knob.

Ocean, sprechen sie Deutsch? Ich hatte zu viel vergessen. Es ist zu lang gewesen. Mein Deutsch is schlecht.

Ich habe geschmuzen mit dem schoene deutschen Mädchen. Ich verstehe wenig, aber ich kann nicht Deutsches sprechen.

I really should have married Yvonne from Cuxhaven. She was everything a woman should be.

Ocean, I'll not excuse their actions but I will try and explain them.

After I asked the same question of someone the answer was that there are so many people helli skiing in these areas that it would be very rude to track out more that was necessasary to get down the hill. Of corse they only show the first group in the promo photos.

That explination soundes a little suss to me cos that is a big area but thats what I was told.

can I have any verification on that??

I also has to do with not cutting above different areas ie cutting above your buddy is a no no. They wont always ski like that but they will stay in the same area to max the vertical so they might ask you to stay in an area. for the most part I dont think its all like that.

Plucky most guides I have met that are my friends are cocky. In some ways it makes you trust them a little more. They are sure when things are a go and sure when they arent. It keeps me at ease in a way. Combs does lots of guiding and skiing with Dean cummings they came up together.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Ich habe geschmuzen mit dem schoene deutschen Mädchen. Ich verstehe wenig, aber ich kann nicht Deutsches sprechen.

I really should have married Yvonne from Cuxhaven. She was everything a woman should be.
Ich denke dass Sie genug wissen. Du bist sehr gut!

I have similar regrets...So much time spent on one language, and here I am in Japan. ein grosses Mädchen. Oh well, kussen mein arsche....

Yah I'm sure Wiegeles has steep stuff. I just like to knock them cause they hold the Powder 8 championships and thats where noodlers go. I am sure H2O has the same novice terrain like Wiegeles.

As for the expense. Holy mother it's way to much for me. Snowcats are way cheaper and you get about the same amount of runs in in a day. Maybe not as much vertical but...

I really want to get a Snowmobile when I get home. That would be nice. Ride it to the bottem of the bowl and then skin up. Would be nice. To bad they cost as much as a car.

Nice discussion, i was just dreaming of some freedom, dreaming of boarding whitout the crowds and whitout the j-pop...

but 5k...

then again, going home to dk costs about 400.000 yen...

ATB

thunderpants

0008.jpg

COLLECTOR 1969 SNOW CRUISER 1969 Snow cruiser, model 2095, 1328 miles, elect start, reverse, wide track, even a cig. lighter runs great needs nothing. $999 obo Kelowna

There we go. This is my helicopter. Even has a lighter built in when you just can't wait for that cig.

• 1 month later...