"Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

Fair comment, and I would be ashamed too.The Dixie chicks said this recently in London and now face death threats, violence against them, berated on talkback and TV, had their music withdrawn form station playlist

....etc etc

wow what would have happened if the said the guy was an imbecilic dickhead? I cant believe the level of criticism for such a light and truthful comment. It is quite scary.

The US has really put the brakes on dissidence havent they?

Yep, the more I here about how France should be punished, the dixi chick retaliation etc etc, the more I am thinking I will rule America off my list of the next countries I would like to live in (as dictated by my career).

France has always been such an easy target for people to make fun of. Why, I have never really understood, but it seemed like anyone could get away with a French joke. Now that so many Americans dislike the French I don't think those jokes are as funny anymore. Where in the past I might have taken an easy shot at the French for a laugh, today I would refrain to avoid sounding like another dumb ass patriotic American jumping on the anit-France bandwagon.

America - the land of free speech

Of course it is, but that doesn't mean everyone has to like whats being said just cause its free, and when you take a stance that is unpopular among your fellow countryman, you can expect to be shunned.

Despite what many folks on this board, and in other countries around the world think, President Bush is pretty popular in the US at the moment - has something like a 70% approval rating. That means only 30 percent of Americans dislike OR don't care what Bush does. Thats not enough to "rule" in a democracy like the US...

I doubt seriously that anyone would really kill the Dixie Chicks for what they said Kamo, but the bottom line is they must be prepared to deal with the consequences of opening their mouths and exercising their "free speech". If you ask me, they have no conviction and let money, or the threat of losing it, rule their thoughts. If they really felt strongly about their opinion, they would have stuck to their guns instead of caving and apologizing afterwards.

I have less respect for them now than when they first said what they said...

losers...

correct me if i`m wrong, but doesn`t that 70% really eqate to 35%, since only half tha population actualy vote???

also, why should one have to `be prepared to deal with the concequences` of what they say, simply bcos someone else disagrees with them? doesnt that go against what freedom of speech is all about??? confused.gif

just a thought.

ray, join us and we will complete your training. with our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy. if only u knew the power of the light side. join us ray.

Ray, I agree with you on this. The Dixie Chicks used their celebrity to say a rude thing and take a cheap shot - fine if you can then take the heat. They clearly couldn't, and there's been a whole stream of crap from them since. I too think they're obviously only motivated by fear of losing sales now, and hadn't really developed enough of a political position to be spouting off in the first place.

As for the jingoism coming out the US at the moment, America will pay the price for it eventually as every country does.

And whatever else one may think of the French, they're right about trying to work through the UN and in accord with international law. The more the US ignores this viewpoint, the worse it looks.

Powers - its hard to say the actual percentage of those polled that actually vote too. I guess we'll find out when the next election comes around. I suppose if there are enough people who dislike Bush when the next election comes around, then he won't get elected...

You, me, and everyone has the right of free speech, but we must accept the consequences that go with that.

For example, I'm a snowboarder. If I were to say that "skiers blow", don't you think that I should be prepared to suffer the wrath of the skiers? At the very minimum, I would expect to be immediately disliked by all of them, and probably not expect to get an invite to go play in the snow with them. Perhaps someone would take the dislike to the extreme and wish I fell down the stairs too.

Or do you think they should all just say "Its cool Ray - Free speech is free speech?", and let me snowboard on my merry way?

As for me - I've spent the last 23 years of my life living an oath to protect the right to free speech but I believe there are limits to everything. You can't exercise your free speech and yell "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater. If you did, and people got hurt, there would and should be criminal liability.

I don't believe there should be criminal liablility in everything I hear just becuase I disagree with, but like I said - just cause someone says it, doesn't mean I have to like what they say. And if I want to take certain actions against the person that said it - that is my right.

What a few (I say few, cause the dixie chicks aren't extremely popular in the states - they have their niche I suppose, but aren't topping all the charts), what a few people are doing to the Dixie chicks - protesting, boycotting, etc, is no different than folks in other countries are doing to the US right now - its just on a different scale and on the opposite ends of the light spectrum...

Milazooki - I may be closer than you think...retirement is calling my name... \:D \:D

Ray, what does this mean exactly.

Quote:
I've spent the last 23 years of my life living an oath to protect the right to free speech
Living an oath??

It all sounds very grand, but like a very foreign concept to me.

Stick to your beliefs and dont look back. But money rules the world in music and in war. Who will get the oil. The people who own the contracts or the US who hold the land. LAW says that the contracts are valid no matter what. US will say otherwise. They will loose in court but like every other trade war they will hang on and rape the land. Canadas loggin industry is just but an example.

Ray, you are wrong about the Dixie Chicks, they have been on top of the country and western charts for a long time - all of their albums have been #1`s, and at the time of their statement - their latest album was #1. I don`t know about now.

I also don`t have any idea why I know that, I just do.

`sticks and stones` Raymond ol` son, `sticks and stones` mate, an that, uno?

if you disagree with what someone says, first, why would ya wanna take `action` against `em? what would that avhieve? second, it`s not your `right` at all.

it`s like if someone gives ya a big pile of horse manure. yeah, nice gesture, but who wants horse manure?? so what do ya do? ya say "thanks, but no thanks," and just leave it. (unless of course yav got a bit o` a veggie patch goin out tha back)

simple, no harm done, nobody hurt, off ya go on ya merry way! no need to take `action`.

same as if someone `says` somthin ya disagree with. correct me if i`m wrong, but please don`t take any `action`.

barok- that info. is goin straight in tha `stiff shit` book. well done! \:D

just a thought.

As I said Barok - they have their niche, but they aren't topping all the charts, they certainly don't get much air time when I'm listening to the radio - even you said C&W, so that doesn't make them the most popular group - just popular with a certain genre...

I'm sorry Powwers - I'm not a "turn the other cheek" kind of person. I do know the meaning of forgiveness, but I am my own person, and I choose when when to use it, and when "hit back" so to speak. It sounds to me like you're saying that if a friend of mine comes up to me and says "I really hate black people", that I should say "to each his own" and still be his friend.

Sorry - but I can't do that. Tolerance is a needed virtue, but I simply don't have a universal tolerance for everything that crosses my path.

Overheard the following on Jay Leno last night:

"The lead singer of the Dixie chick issued an apology for her 'poor choice of words'".

Jay said - "more like because her choice of words is making her poor."

No big DixChix fan here - but it seems that the BIG CONTROVERSY??? hasn't dented much at all. It appears that, as often is the case, notoriety is not a death knell, but just the required punch. The current cover of "Entertainment Weekly" featuring the gals doesn't reflect too much remorse. \:D

They should learn to think before they speak, or at least live with the consequences.

I can't see what the big deal is anyway, they probably meant what they said - and it seems fairly valid point to me ;\)

I think I'd retract a (not particularly important) political statement I'd made if people started making death threats to my family.

Can't stand country music, by the way :p .