There seem to be so many contradictory parts to Japanese life - the mix of modern and traditiona, old and new, etc. I haven't been there and I'm already confused.

What about quality of life? Do the Japanese enjoy a good quality of life generally???

Cheers!

When compared to the numerous 3rd world countries, I'd say the Japanese quality of life ranks amongst the best - which is one reason I've been here so long. But "quality" is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure there is a farmer somewhere in the Gobi desert who is quite content where he is.

I would say db's quaity of life may outrank the avg Japanese. But on the "Quality of Life" scale, which ranks something like (I don't know the exact details if someone else does) hours worked in a week - vacation time - quality of air - recreation - size of dwellings, etc, etc, Japan is pretty low amongst industrialized nations. For that matter I think America is down there too, although I have nothing to complain about. Apparently the Swiss and Scandanavians are at the top.

(#1000! Beat ya Drew ;\) )

Doesn't "happiness" and lack of stress have a big part of it all too?

I may be wrong - and no offence for him - but Mr db doesn't seem to be happiest living here from my reading his post.

\:D

he was pullin ya toggle iceage dude \:\) in a tongue-in-cheek kinda way.

i wish i knew how to optimise QOL but im still messing with paramater settings - currently the money function is all bunged up.

for jland though i would say a lot of people seem quite content, but also are oblivious to any other options (a solid base for their contentment)

In terms of housing I think the average western (at least Australian) may live in a nicer manner than the average Japanese (at least Tokyo) family. This is of course a totally subjective view based on ones cultural whatever.