• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You still haven't got the point.

I actually like the Japanese name Hana, while I never particular liked the Western name Hannah. While they sound the same, they each have a different resonance for me. I've never liked the name Ken, although I've known some very nice people called that. These are completely personal views.

But that's not the point either. What I am criticising is a) calling your children names in anticipation of them being diligent ambassadors between your two countries, when chances are equally good that they won't be, and B) the fact that doing so often limits the choice of name to exactly one per sex, with often comical results. I don't think these points are difficult to grasp, nor do I think they are cause for anybody to get upset.

Kintaro, in as much as you're choosing to call your putative boy a fully Western name, this criticism doesn't even apply to you. (However, I should point out that although Justin is easy enough to pronounce in Japanese and English, in Hindi (a language area where your boy might end up living), the word 'justin' means 'bed bug'. You can't win 'em all eh?

Reading this as someone without kids and not even thinking about them....

....you ALL sound very sensitive on the issue - both sides. Calm down, calm down.... \:\)

Thanks S_F, although I always like my first name more than when it was paired with my last (unless you throw in the middle initial).

You're right on indo about the name association thing again. I have a negative association with the name Hannah, so I would never chose that name...but had that association been positive it may be different.

Fantastic - chill out man. I think Ocean has obviously made his point that he wasn't saying that those names were bad or lame, just that the act of naming your kid one of the two names that easily leaves them with a Japanese and English name is Clichéd.

I think mr.fantastic here is just trying to bust balls and you guys are playing into it.

Think about it... would you ever say, to someone who just told you their child's name, "wow thats a stupid name," to their face???

And think about this too... would you ever say, to someone who just told you their child's name, "wow thats a lame choice for a name," to their face???

wakaranai.gif

Yeah, I quite probably would, if they hadn't already done it, and if I cared enough about the person. There's a huge difference between thinking about future children and actually having them, so you don't need to feel too hurt on Kintaro's behalf and his poor, diminished virtual child. ;\) I see we're still a little too dim to get the point I've made.

Sure you might say something to someone who you knew well before the child was born, but I doubt you would trash the name after the kid was born, or if it was someone you didn't know well.

dim?? Well, it was your son's name being trashed. If you take no offense... then hey.. thats you. :rolleyes:

Mr *, that comment was addressed to cal who still doesn't quite get what forums are for, nor my one point. ;\)

As for 'fantastic', I'd like to hear him say that to my face. I noticed that he is a weasel, and having checked that he has nothing worth saying, I left him with a sarcastic comment. As if I gave a hoot what he thinks of my son's name... Hinata would just as soon give him a punch in the nuts as look at him. :p

Ocean11, you also never seem to be able to accept any comments that are even slightly off your main point - which I do understand, I just think it is lame.

Anyway, here's something a little different...

Quote:
What I am criticising is a) calling your children names in anticipation of them being diligent ambassadors between your two countries, when chances are equally good that they won't be, and B) the fact that doing so often limits the choice of name to exactly one per sex, with often comical results. I don't think these points are difficult to grasp, nor do I think they are cause for anybody to get upset.
Ocean, OK lets say my wife and I are expecting a child. And we absolutely love the name Hannah and Hana - just because we like it. Nothing to do with us anticipating or expecting anything for our children because of it.

Then you hear our childs name. Is that comical?

Do you think less of us because we have named our child the name we like best?

?

cal, no, and no (as you might already have grasped from what I've said).

LiquidX, I got a very huffy response from my muvver-in-law about wanting call our boy Sasuke. Didn't go down well. Are you in the family way, or are you just curious?

Ocean, why do you use the language "POOR, DIMINISHED VIRTUAL CHILD" when referring to the child my wife and I aspire to have? Poor meaning what? Unfortunate, destitute, mediocre? You don't know me punk! Diminished? Brah, this forum is for entertaiment. But you did't see anyone stoop to bashing Hinata personally. IF you've got issues w/ me, send a personal and we can meet. wave.gif

And let me venture to guess that I'm not the first to assume your a bit (or a lot) pretentious.

what u gonna do, have a fight? shoot him? meet him behind the bike sheds after school? what are you going to spend his lunch money on?

When I'm watching cheap low grade reality TV people like you are amusing - when you do it here it makes me embarrised to be a forgner.

NO, "meet." Have a beer/coffee. Talk. Wrong idea Jared..hence the little smily guy waving! Just if my aspired kid or wife, not myself...is an issue I'd preffer to take it off this forum and should one want to, talk about it in person. Comprende amigo?

Kintaro, much as I would love to meet you or nearly anybody else on this forum, it's not always going to be feasible. One of the good things about forums is that you can chat without actually having to go to the expense of meeting.

Now to answer you questions, I'm often called pretentious, although usually by people who don't know as much about nearly everything as I do. My art teacher once called me a 'pompous prat' which amuses me to this day (I thought it described him quite well). I couldn't care less what strangers think of me.

I called your child 'poor' out of sarcasm. You don't actually have a child yet (right?) and to be getting het up about somebody on a forum making light of a kid that doesn't even exist yet is so oversensitive as to provoke my scorn. You also suggested that I was one who 'diminished children's names', an absurd concept. I was poking fun at that.

As for not seeing anybody stooping to bashing Hinata personally, you obviously haven't been reading very carefully. Again, not that I give a hoot.

So, to sum up; Calm down. I wish you, your wife, and future children all the best. Having kids is both a joy and a trial, and I find it very easy to be ironic about a lot of what you have to put up with (like your little angel shitting on you in the bath with a look of pure bliss on his face... Skimming the turds off the top and trying to wash with the uncontaminated bits...). I find it even easier to be ironic about kids that aren't even conceived yet. I hope you understand. I also hope you understand my point about naming the kid so they fit in somewhere - my parents didn't foresee that I would choose to live in Japan, so they gave me a name that doesn't work too well for Japanese.

Finally, if you admit that choosing a child's name is a personal thing, it shouldn't matter at all to you what I or anybody else thinks of the name you choose. Right?

I couldn't care less what strangers think of me.....

Yeah, right. You might have convinced yourself, but not the rest of us ;\)