My girl and I want a king size bed. Not just any king size bed, but a soft, supportive king size bed. One mattress, not two, is it too much to ask?

Price no object ...

Can anyone recommend a company in Japan that can provide, or a foreign one that can export?

g'day Miteyak,

I was looking for exactly the same thing as you. There is an old thread of mine floating around: "bed shops in Tokyo" that covers some of the matter.

I have given up. Simply because I didn't want to pay at least twice the Australian price after having bugger all selection to try out and choose from.

I tried a few big places and the bed selection was woeful.

In the end I contacted Seally Japan and could get what I wanted but the price was a joke and again I was deprived of teh ability to 'shop around' and try different makes, models, firmnesses etc.

Sealy Japan do sell a top of the range product here called the "Crown Jewel". The one I looked at was a queen and was way, way to soft and very low on the firmness scale. It came with a hideous bed head (they all do in Japan). It cost about Y700k. The price didn't put me out of the game but it would have been far cheaper to buy in Oz and ship it over.

I tried IDC and it was a terrible experience... so as not to be 1000% negative in the space of one morning I wont go into the details now.

I also tried a few other places and the range was very poor. France Bed probably had the best range but were well over-priced for what you got. Sure, many places stock a lot of beds, but most are poor excuses for a bed (like the one I own now) and the staff know zip about them. I will not buy a bed if the sales guy can't tell me how many springs it has as a ratio to bed size, how many turns are in each spring and what type of spring it is.

Your best bet is to contact Ueda-san at Sealy Japan ueda@sealy-bed.co.jp. He can get you the bed you want (maybe). Be warned though, most beds in Japan that are greater than or equal to queen size are composed of two single bed zipped or velcroed together.

Buying a good bed is a huge exercise and for cultural reasons, Japan does not lend itself to the shopping experience very well. If you want to look at lots of makes and models then be prepared for dissapointment.

good luck.

Why don't you buy the matteress and go to the local hardware store get some 4x2 and stuff and make yourself a cheap bed?

Mattress may not be so, but I am sure a mattress can be shipped pretty cheap.

There are a lot of cheap bed and mattress sets around. Keep the bed, drive the mattress to the river and throw it in, and get one sent just like mogs says.

Being a long person myself, I can never find a bed I don't stick out of. I find it amazing that in the early 21st century, the various sizes of people are so poorly taken into account in product design, not only beds. Queen-sized beds all seemed to be designed for Queen Victoria -- short and very wide. I often do better by lying on them cross-ways.

DB, your experiences sound like mine! I guess we both covered all the bases.

Bought a double wide long from IDC for 140000 last year, but it's too small/hard. As you said, finding a one piece mattress queen or bigger is hard here. Could get a seally queen bed for 130000, but they dont do the long version, and queen isn't much bigger than a double wide.

As for Australia, though, I checked the sites there, and the seally seemed to be the same price!

Mogski, checked out seally USA and the mattresses, again, no real bargain on the prices here, but they did have the sizes. Pity non of them ship internationally.

Anyone know of a furniture shop that does?

Hey ocean, i do the lying across the bed thing too! works wonders! i sometimes go for the big star shape too but for some reason when i wake up im always lying on my side in a curl! why is that? wakaranai.gif

i can never get to sleep unless im sleeping on my back. is anyone else like me? ive heard of people who can only get to sleep on their fronts. how strange! do we have any of those on the forum?

If you're here for the long term, Debito, the guy that fought the Otari Onsen case, has some tips about importing big stuff. If you do it all together and can wangle the time off, he says you can make some big savings.

http://www.debito.org/housebuildingfour.html

I think the mattrass he's mentions is 2.4m square (2.4 by 2.4) not "2.4 sq m".

I'm on the lookout for a garden shed, would you believe, but will probably have to get the same kind of crappy metal one everyone else has. Wooden ones seem to cost the earth here. If anyone has any advice, please post it here.

deebs

The only thing I can suggest is that if you know of a hotel with great beds, spend a night there and pull off the sheets to see what make and model it is. Of course it's not the cheapest form of research, but I think it would be more fruitful and (mentally) cost-effective than trailing around furniture shops. That must do your head in.

Pretty bad. Also no tools, and no shed to keep em in \:\(

I could probably manage a precut slot-together one, but I'd need help with a from scratch jobbie.

Get a drill, some angle iron, panels and a bucket of paint from a DIY shop, and you can knock together a whole variety of outdoor storage. Angle iron comes in all sorts of exciting varieties these days. (I have built some very tasty scaffolding on my desk for monitors using sexy angle iron.) I found that just owning a power drill has made me more a man.

I gave my power drill to my old man before I left Australia. It was a great little number with hammer function of hard masionary work. I miss my drill.

When it comes to hand tools, fasteners and things like angle iron, the local Japanese DIY can't be beat. I have been known to kill a saturday arvo cruising the isles checking out all the cool things I would love to buuy but have no use for.

It is also fun to find teh biggest and smallest of a certain object. Like the biggest and smallest scre, hammer, saw, monkey wrench. They have a friggin huge shifting spanner at my local DIY. I handle it every time I visit. EnderZero and I were recently admiring the hammer selection. We both noted the erstwhile ball pein hammer.

I am actually planning on getting some hardware to fix my bed base this weekend... but I need a drill.

I saw the best damn tool box I have even seen in my life at a DIY store the other day.

Wheelie with three pull out trays and a main compartment so deep you could fit a 5 year old in! It was fantastic.

Wish I had lots of tools too " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

My place has lots of windows on all sides with nice views \:\) so I've not got a wall to lean a simple structure onto. It's got to be free standing, big enough to hold three bikes, and strong enough to withstand a lot of snow.

How about a 'shed raising party'?

Actually, you could knock up a nice free standing shed without angle iron quite nicely with a power saw, drill, and a few bits of wood. I'm envious to think of you having this wonderful op. to play with all those power tools. If I get a king mattress, I get to make a poxy bed at best.

(still a good chance to buy a circular saw to go with my power drill, though \:D )