A new feature, "Hakuba 47 - Q&A" has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/interviews-hakuba47.html

In late 2003, we asked Snow Japan readers to send in questions for the Hakuba 47 resort in Nagano Prefecture. We sent on the questions to the resort, and their responses make up this Feature.

We would like to thank the Japanese staff at Hakuba 47 for offering to answer the questions, and for taking the time to do so.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/interviews-hakuba47.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here...

That dangerous valley where the big avalanche of 74 was sounds like a real problem. If only there was some way you could make it safer…. An army of people with specially designed “snow compactors” strapped to their feet that would spend all day sliding over each layer of snow as it arrived compacting it into safety and providing a rough surface for the next layer to stick to would be the ideal solution… if only such a thing existed… If it did exist I guess that you probably couldn’t afford do buy such an army in the current economic climate with rider numbers falling and so on. It seems that everyone wants to fly off to Hokkaido these days; I wonder what they have that you don’t?

Anyway, back to reality, what you need is more rope, yep; I reckon an impenetrable rope fence ‘ll fix your problem and bring in more customers.

Seriously though, I have heard lots of good things about your resort and I would like to visit sometime but until there is a more relaxed policy toward skiing powder and fewer stories of patrollers hiding in the trees I can’t see myself ever choosing to spend my money visiting Nagano over Hokkaido. These stories aren’t just limited to this site either. You’re getting bad press in a lot of Australian and American ski and snowboard mags too.

Quote:
It seems that everyone wants to fly off to Hokkaido these days
Is that really true though? Seems that places like Hakuba area, Nozawa, and other regions of Honshu are very popular.

I really like the resort, been quite a few times this last season and we all really enjoyed it. Thanks for answering those questions.
 Quote:
I rode at H47 a lot last year and wondered why the area between 47 and Goryu is closed? There is so much terrain that could be opened up to make this the best resort in the Hakuba Valley but it never opened. The terrain is challenging which is what 47 needs. There are trees, so avalanche risks are limited, it forms a valley and comes out at Goryu so I'm wondering why this area isn't utilized and when will it be open to advanced skiers? Leave the ropes up but have a gate and warning notice before entering.
 Quote:
Ok who is the idiot who asked this question.
Point 1 that Valley funnels and would trap and rider.
Point 2 Trees do not stop avies (Was going to ski a line this year didnt do it and later the same day 2 riders set off a class 2 slide in the trees) Thin Japanese trees do nothing to hold the snow.
Point 3 That Valley has many too many start zones no resort in North America would open it.
Point 4 stupid question understand what you are talking about which you dont in this case.

Thank you for answering the questioning but the answers were quite thin.

whoah! steady on Fattwins, no need to get nasty and vitriolic in your statements.

The valley with the Avie barriers near the top of the Goryu Gondola is a dangerous spot-undoubtedly.

But there is a huge amount of terrain between Goryu and 47, how do you know whoever posed that question wasnt talking about the "other valleys" which exist in that large area?

Have a look at a map of the area, there is a lot of terrain there

hakuba_g.jpg

and you cant tell me all of the terrain is volatile like the avie barriers valley?

I can understand why that particular valley is forever out of bounds but why all of it? there is one run already there, that black mogul run acessed form the top of the 47 Quad. So it cant be all that bad.

So I think whoever wrote that question had a valid point, it wasnt clearly put foward but there you go.

There is so need to slag them off.

Valid point my butt. Number one it is the only valley that ends at Goryu. The others end out of bounds or in and aroun imorii. Now if he/she was talking about Imorii then maybe I could cut some flack. Lots of the stuff at Imorri is good but tons of start zones and people have hiked out of there missing the way back even though it looks easy.And the run you are talking about was cut on a ridge.

Do you even understand terrain traps. No resort in the world will open an area that funnels into a 10 meter wide narrow valley.

Can they open some stuff up yes but just cause you ride it doesnt make it safe for everyone all the time.

We should all remember that you learn by asking questions. I have already learnt useful info from reading the discussion that resulted from a question that was potentially 'a silly question'.

By the way, I am not having a go at you FT \:\)

db please say that wasnt your question. I dont mind a debate maybe I shouldnt have said idiot that is a bit strong. I usally dont say that type of stuff. I also admit 47s answers were vague and quite expected ie so Japanese. All 7 resorts have different marketing plans so for the good of the valley we cant get together and other better service. PS I think a hakuba seasons pass is impossible but what about a 7 day super pass just pick a resort and go? No all resorts have different marketing plans so we just cant work together its so Japanese dont move untill the wheel is stuck.

"1 Patrol - 20,000 yen / hour"

wouldn't be bad if they were actually paid this amount since it is them who are going out and risking their lives for 800yen.

and that Antelopes thing.. If only someone had told me about that years ago, i would have never ducked a rope for fear that they might not come home!