A 3 bedroom house would generally have 3 bedrooms, one master with an en suite and then two other bedrooms. Then there would also be a kitchen, living room, dining room, maybe a hallway, a couple of bathrooms, laundry. All that kinda stuff, plus whatever is in the backyard.

I know lots of people who rent. But i think its a bit of a waste of money so i'd try to buy if can afford it. Better to be paying your own mortgage than someone elses.

But i also know a lot of people who buy instead of renting, even if they think they are only going to be in the house for a couple fo years.

Hope that helps a bit!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I don't really understand the Oz housing situation. '3 bedroom house' means what exactly? How many rooms do you get in total with that? And is renting not generally the done thing? I get the impression you pretty much have to buy...
i dont know if thats true (the not renting bit)

ive always lived in rented share houses and we've had some great places... and there is no shortage to choose from.

i think many people tend to buy after they settle because it seems to be a better investment, than money out the window.

i think renting is much easier than england, and definitley better than japan.

\:\) SBF i was writing while u were posting, so it was just an off the noggin statement/reply to the big O.

2 of my friends have just moved to a sweet house 15 mins walk from the beach, huge verandah, 2brm only $220/wk. the house is worth about 500k. i'd happily rent a pad like that for some time.

Ocean - Australians as a generality have an obsession with buying property. It is the Australian thing - you are not 'whole' until you own a quarter acre block with a back fence... a bit of a stereo type perhaps.

Nothing at all wrong with buying, unless you can get a far superior return on capital in other transactions, which is not that difficult. ;\) I have never bought as it is an inferior use of capital ... even after the cost of rent. I will buy something one day though.

Mikazooki- no, I'm a Brit

I fully agree with Indosnm's appraisal of Adelaide. If you like yer space, and a laid back attitude, no traffic jams, but still need great resty's it's the place, I reckon (although i've been advised I'd also love Perth for similar reasons).

For vice, Adelaides gotta win hands down though. Cooper ale, the Barossa valley's fine wines (best in Australia) and of course the ubiquitous hemp...

Quote:
Originally posted by db:
I have never bought as it is an inferior use of capital ... even after the cost of rent. I will buy something one day though.
db, please advise as to where I can invest my 125,000 aussie dollars, receive 10-15% growth on 500,000, and have a third party pay off the remaining investment capital of 375,000.
;\)

Seriously, in the past five years I don't know how many markets have out-performed properties for the average investor. With properties one has to remember that you potentially only have to pay for 25% of your investment while receiving growth on the full amount.

And of course, there's safety. Property tends to weather depressions better than stocks, and they don't go bust.

Your thoughts, db...
 Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
I fully agree with Indosnm's appraisal of Adelaide. If you like yer space, and a laid back attitude, no traffic jams, but still need great resty's it's the place, I reckon (although i've been advised I'd also love Perth for similar reasons).

For vice, Adelaides gotta win hands down though. Cooper ale, the Barossa valley's fine wines (best in Australia) and of course the ubiquitous hemp...
can't say much for the name though.... Adelaide.

not that perth or sydney are much better.

melbourne is a cool name. darwin is good name.

brisbane neither here nor there.

some of the aboriginal names are cool though. if i had to go by name and place... yallingup would be the place to go.

did i forget to mention hobart?? oh well, no harm done.
 Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:

Your thoughts, db...
=>> Computerised, systematic futures market trend following with a military style position sizing and risk management algorithm (all managed by myself).

Way more leverage, make money regardless of market direction, diversified across several commodity classes. I 'invest' in crude oil, natural gas, wheat, soy bean products, cotton, lumber, interest rate products (short dated and long bonds), equity indices, sugar, coffee, palladium, and a number of currency markets.

I do not mean to sound like a tosser, but this is not available to the average investor* so you are most likely very correct regarding property as the best asset class of late. Certainly 1000000000% better than giving your money to a fund manager/mutual fund/pension fund.

* I am the average investor, it is just that I put in years of hard work every night and weekend in the way of research.

ps - I certainly didn't mean to sound scornful about property markets.

pps - One problem with property markets is they lack liquidity when you need it most.

As a closing thought: my original comment that Miteyak quoted was a pretty dicky thing for me to say. Sorry for being a dick.
 Quote:
Originally posted by mikazooki:

some of the aboriginal names are cool though. if i had to go by name and place... yallingup would be the place to go.
I would go to Bong Bong.
 Quote:
Originally posted by mikazooki:
SBF i was writing while u were posting, so it was just an off the noggin statement/reply to the big O.
Aha, i see said the blind man! \:\)

Surfer's Paradise is far from that, thats for sure. But there are some fine breaks in the surrounding area.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

This is all looking veeeery interesting...
Yeah, just have to sort out the visa thing..... good luck on that one - to stay for any length of time might not be as easy as you think. I don't know what it's like now, but about 15 years ago a British friend who has Aussie citizenship was trying to get her daughter into Oz from GB. It worked on a points system for qualification and she didn't get enough points to be qualified to immigrate, not even with her mother living here. With the illustrious Mr Howard in office and tougher immigration laws there could be a few challenges, especially with a spouse who's not Australian either. Being able to show lots of money helps!!!! Check into it and then apply from outside Australia, not inside. It's used to be a lot easier if you apply from outside the country. I know an aussie woman and Japanese man, married for 2 years, applied for permanent residency to the Oz embassy in Tokyo, it took several months to go through, but he didn't even have to have an interview!!! Of course that was before the Howard regime..... nothing's impossible, but good luck if you try for it!

sunrise you're right there. I took an online test to check my fitness for life in Australia, and I was found wanting 'Unfortunately...', until I clicked the option saying that I would buy a grand's worth of Australian government bonds, whereupon it was 'Congratulations Mr.11!'

Well, I think I'll take the path of least resistance, move to Shikoku, holiday in Australia, and see if I still want to er, buy my way in.

I have heard that the visa that people could get in on having a certain qualification is now un available.??

Me & my japanese wife had no worries about her visa, took a month to come thru (paperwork a biatch though)

So if ya not married how the hell do you get in? Just being british can't be enough...after all we don't even want the queen!

Here we go;

http://www.migrationexpert.com/register_migrationexpert.asp?fid=100037

In the part where the test tries to ascertain whether or not you are a crook/terror threat, there's a section asking if you have had military training. I rather resent that question being in that section... db, you might not get back in, especially with your eccentric approach to the true meaning of investment.

You're not encumbered with non-Commonweatlh family which I suspect makes a significant difference. Plus you may have more valuable skills, although translators seemed to be rated highly (not that there are any jobs available for translators if my research is worth anything).

I didn't get asked about military experience.

I applied for "Skilled Professional" and said no to the bond investment. I also assumed that I had no Australian degree.

I was rejected.

I am not good enough for Australia but they are forced to take me as I was born there.

Maybe I could cut a deal where they let me in on the understanding that I promise to tell them if I hear that you're planning to go back... (ps db, I mailed you about the car again. Did you see it?)