Where's the place heading, d'ya reckon?

I compare Japan to when I first came here and see much more choice, a lot of loosening up in many ways.... but on the other hand see Ganguro and young Japanese who don't seem to give a crap about anything but their keitais. Now I've nothing against that particularly, but it makes you wonder what the future will bring for the place?

Hey?   \:D

lol.gif

from how I see it...

I think the younger generation (up to early 20's) seem in general (not as a rule..), uninterested, unmotivated, and a bit immature...

most of my good J-friends here are 5-10years older than me, 'cause I can't seem to have very many intelligent/meaningfull conversations with other people my age here...

shoganai attitude is still here, but the shoganai attititude of the younger generation is a different beast than that of their parents...

my .02

danz

A large segment of the next Japanese generation as represented by the kids that go to my son's playschool are going to be physically weak, lacking in stamina and with appalling eating and sleeping habits. Their parents need a good smack round the head to get them to see what they're doing to their children. Unfortunately, nobody in authority is going to give them that good smack because of PC notions of what you're allowed to say. The parents of this segment are semi-moronic in many important ways, and their children can only be worse when they grow up. There are 3 and 4 year olds watching horror movies till past 12 on weekdays while their parents are drinking and smoking in groups in the same room. This can't be good.

Some of my friends when I was a kid had rather unideal parents but at least they were disciplined at school and received the benefits of playing in the street with a range of other kids. Many grew up out of the mould their parents set as a result. I don't see this sort of thing in Japan.

Ocean- Even with the negligence that you described, I get the sense that the family in japan is not the same thing as the family in western culture. I get the impression that japanese families are not as closely knit or nurturing. That being the case, things that may seem lax or negligent to us, may in fact be the way things always were. I could be totally off, but that's the impression I get.

• 3 weeks later...

I think young people get a bad rap. None of Japan's current problems are their fault. I'm more worried about the present generation. They seem incapable of accepting change, so we end up with lots of bankrupt businesses being artificially propped up to avoid short-term pain for those involved. So long as this continues, long-term improvements remain a dream.

I get a kick out of the attitude that Japan`s economy, or any economy is just going to somehow right itself.

the plane needs fixing, then it can get righted, it`s not just a matter of time, folks!