I was speaking with a friend who has a colleague working in Yuzawa that Yuzawa Kogen might not be opening at all next season, which is surprising considering its a town-operated one (?) and fairly popular - certainly more than some other places I would have thought. I don't know if this is just a rumour with any merit or not, but you'd think that some of the places would close with the lack of guests they've had in the last few years. How do some of these places keep open anyway?

big-will

Actually we've heard the same about Yuzawa Kogen as well - rumour time again. But while we've heard lots of rumours about some of the really small places around here fighting to survive (but they still seem to be able to keep on going each season), it's the first year we've heard it about Yuzawa Kogen.

• 2 weeks later...

Yuzawa Kogen was on a program last night, late on (I don't know the name). They were talking about the possibility of not opening in the winter, but assured viewers that they were going to. (I was a bit confused too). Seems the place is popular in summer and breaks even then, but loses in winter.

Theres some resorts up here near Niigata city. They are fairly popular with the locals, but are hardly ever what you'd call busy. The best one is called Tainai. I'm not sure but I think the local authorities own them and keep them open.

\:\(

Unfortunately, with the domestic market declining, in the next few years many resorts and ' hills ' will close. This is unquestionable. Simple economics.

Management practices here continue to ignore the successes enjoyed offshore, and blindly run their mountains into the ground.

With the fantastic terrain and snow quality found here, it is simply a disaster.

Watch Kiroro.

• 2 weeks later...
 Quote:
Unfortunately, with the domestic market declining, in the next few years many resorts and ' hills ' will close. This is unquestionable. Simple economics.
Dude, people have been saying that for years already. Somehow places that are losing tons seem to be able to remain open for whatever reason.
  • 2 weeks later...

sometimes it boils down to town economics. If the resort closes the whole town is in trouble, so they keep things going just to keep the towns alive. Some resorts closing is not a bad idea though there are a few resorts that just dont belong in the market anyways.

• 2 months later...