The attitudes of the Nagoya sumo fans yesterday were abysmal, rather poor indeed. Placards and chants saying "go home to Mongolia" to Yokozuna Asashyoru are disgraceful, boorish behaviour.

Underlying resentment towards the foreign born Yokozuna have surfaced lately, compounded with his poor form and a fallout with his jealous compatriot Kyokushuzan. I hazard to use the "R" word but thats how its beginning to look and its saddening

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
And does it hit the news? Of course, no.....
well it did actually I was watching TV news this morning "Tokudane" on Fuji TV and they were discussing it. It was on a few internet sites too Sumo gets bomb warning

clearly the pressure is getting to him as he is fighting with his former buddy Kyokushuzan.

there are stories to be found. I really like newsonjapan.com for getting varied and encompassing news

It appears that he used one of the forbidden techniques, something that a yokozuna should know better than to do. The rules aren't very hard to remember, so getting them wrong is a big deal. You'll perhaps remember that Takanohana drew a great deal of flak for spitting his drinky out in the ring in a rather vulgar display of individualism.

It seems that some wrestlers, including foreigners, think they can mess with sumo, but it doesn't go down well.

Akebono is very highly regarded in sumo circles for his Japaneseness apparently. Most of the other foreigners are dame.

true true the sport is very steeped in tradition and honour. It must be very difficult to fit in and strictly adhere to protocol especially when you are a fiery Mongolian. In regards to his DQ I dont think he intentionally pulled the top knot, he was using a common technique to slap down the opponents head, many do it and miss the top knot, Asa did it rather eagrely and rashly in his desire to avenge his previous loss to Kyokushuzan. Instead of a clean slap his fingers dragged through and caught in hair and remember their hair is full of grease and product and would be like a venus flytrap, not the silky hair of shampoo model. So his fingers caught like a careless claw rather than an intentional grab. Nevertheless it looked bad and he got DQed. Should be more careful next time.

As for gaijin go home crap thats just bullshhhitt.

Our yokozuna friend though has acted like an idiot over the past 4 monthes.

-gets angry and bumps and shows emotion towards his fellow whrestler after his loss.

-The next bout he pulls his hair.

-The same day he breaks the mirror of fellow sumo san.

-almost gets into a fight in the onsen.

The guy is a yokozuna and should act like one.

As of today he will bow out of the tourney cause he is stinking it up, his injury is BS.

He did use forbidden technique and he should know it better than that, especially concerning his ranking. People will be angry about it, it is shame about racism thing appearing, but I think people have right to be angry about some thing.

Perhaps he couldn't read the instruction booklet

lol.gif

Not funny that. Anyways, he does seem to be a bit of a fool and if he's in the sport he should take it seriously. And the traditions of sumo are complex and need to be respected.