With summer on the way and the beer taking up the entire space where salad and veggies used to be, its time to think about having the first BBQ for the season.

I've got the Webber all ready to go and a reasonably good bunch of neighbours who don't call the cops when i fire up the kettle. Then again the wind has been reasonably kind to me so far. Living on the bottom floor i know i'm pushing the friendship, but....Australians need their BBQ!

That said, i know people who've had the police called for BBQing in Tokyo and i've been reliably informed by others that it is actually illegal.

So who here has a Japanese BBQ story to share?

Compared to the piles of cut grass that all my farmer neighbors burn on a regular basis my bbq causes almost no smoke/smell at all. Almost getting a bit sick of piles of meat though.

p.s It is now legal for japanese farmers to sell geneticly modified beef without labelling it as such.

p.s 2 Imported meat has been chemicaly treated to preserve it a bit longer.

p.s 3 I eat it all anyway.

your first bbq now? I've been having them for a while. so a bbq story. last year there were about 5 of us bbq in zwelgen's back yard. It was the night after a rager party, so we were all pretty mellow- only a couple of us were drinking. It was maybe 7 in the evening, and we had a little fire surrounded by big stones and we balanced the grill on top. zwelgy's mean ass neighbor comes over and tells us we have to stop the bbq, we're being too loud. our food wasnt done, so we told him we had to keep cooking. he comes back about an hour and a half later and yells at us to put the fire out bc it's past the legal time or something and says he wont leave til he sees us put water over the fire. When zwelgy (the only j speaker) goes inside to get a bucket, he continues to yell at us even though we cant understand and stands so close you can see spit flying and he pushed away the hand of my friend. the next day, zwelgen asks at her work in the city office if there are any laws about bbq. there arent.

It sounds like you put out the wrong fire with that bucket of water...

The 'art' of BBQing is to sit on your fat arse at a nice log table drinking wine, eating salad, and watching while your brother-in-law cooks all the meat and sausages and arranges it attractively on a plate within reach...

Ah yes, but then you would miss out on all the interesting and diverse conversation that takes place between the turning of the meat.

If only the leaders of Nth/Sth Korea, China and the US would all get together, cook a few snags, share around the tongs and have a bit of a chat there'd be no more nuclear crisis on the peninsula!

Have had aout 10 already! ( but almost every weekend is spent @ the beach)

Things that really irritate me @ a BBQ!

1. when people turn MY steak before it ready ( so i have to watch like hawk)

2. When people cut perfectly sized sausages, lamb chops etc into tiny kiddy sized pieces! ( there goes my sanga sambo) etc etc

3. the weasles

But i do like japanese style BBQing, eating off it as the meat and vegies are mouth burning hot. Its the same way the Sth. Americans that I know do it ... and yes marinade!

Why is it that bloody Aussies think they've got some natural ability or affiliation with BBQing!

Yes you live in a country with hot weather etc, but I'd suggest you try the challenge of BBQing in the UK. Where, you've got a 3 hour window between the rain and sleet, gusts blowing the smoke back in your face and guests who've downed all the wine from the bottle within an hour of arriving and are busy piss'n in your rose bush.

(the last one may just be MY friends).

I'd have to agree with Ocean, watch the other fools do the hard work. Unless they've been supping the wine and beers heavily!

But the art is in the cooking.

-Preparing a pork roast stuffed with bacon cheese and onions.

Or

-Preparing chopped tatters with onions garlic basil salt pepper olive oil and bacon wrapped in foil and cooked for an hour on the BBQ.

Or

-A nicely marinated piece of Chicken in a thin BBq sauce with garlic and soy sauce.

Or

-Thin pieces of beef bbq with onions and green pepper with yaki niku sauce. Consantly turn it till ready.

Cooking might not get you drunk but it's an art and it's worth all the smiles.

Barok and I had many a snowy balcony BBQ in the cold Nagano nights. Always the best way to eat meat. I also really like the eat it right off the grill style. Ask db about starting up the BBQ with burnable slug. The first BBQ we had in Tokyo, the flames were jumping 2 feet out the top of the sucker and permanently discolored the cover.

But the best BBQ was the ni man worth of meat Danz, db, MistaS and I ate off the 700 Yen BBQ on the beach of Izu. mmmmmmmmmmm