You know, the Tokyo Govenor or whatever it is called.

I saw an interview with him last night. I'm not in Tokyo, but was wondering what people who know more about him thought. He comes across as being smart, but a bit arrogant and sometimes rather racist....but is that last one due to a less than perfect translation into English?

Any views?

He is a famous writer and popular among old generation, because he is Yujiro's brother.

He is a very strong leader like Bush. His careless expression is too much for me sometimes. But his idea is unique, like regulation for diesel engine automobile, taxation on Banks.

He is good at winning the hearts and minds of the people, so he always has confidence.

One of his son is also politician.

4894611627.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is Yujiro in 60's. He was most popular movie star. There is a Yujiro museum in Otaru and Yujiro light house in Hayama.

Shinichiro used to write novels and Yuichiro star in the movies.

ah ishihara...what can i say that hasn't been said? I wish he would stop accusing me ( and every other foreigner in this country) tho of

1) living like an animal

2) having no ethics

3) inciting riots

4) rape

5) murder

6) stealing

7) crime in general

8) the list goes on and on....

I know he's just a blowhard who likes to wind up the foriegners - we're an easy target since none of us can vote - but man, he gets me down sumtimes. it's like in "bowling for cloumbine" where sum guy talking about singling out the minorities and using them for political gain. fear of the black. except in japan it's fear of the yellow ie the chinese and koreans. crazy when u think about it.

He's widely believed to be a radical populist with borderline fascist leanings... It's rather bizarre that Japan's capital has someone like him while in nearby Nagano they elected somebody like Tanaka. The voting habits of this country when it comes to governors is most odd.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article in a brit paper over here the other day on Ishihara. (Think it was the Telegraph or Independant). The main jist of it was he was a racist nationalist and the world should be 'beware' of him if he gets real power. A completely awful article with tonnes of errors and sensationalism, I should have kept it and typed the thing up (but you know what its like on yer hols ;\) )