As the spouce of a jet I'm a compulsory member of the national health insurance plan. They'll pay 70% of the bills if I wrap myself around a tree. The remaining 30% of the possibly millions of yen worth of bills has me a little worried. Can anyone reccomend an insurance policy that covers that 30% without having to pay to cover myself for 100%

At the moment I have travel insurance from NZ but its time to either renew it or let it finish. I'm just looking for cheaper options to cover that 30%.

Any suggestions?

hey jared,

had a chat with my wife about it (she's japanese) but she said in the case of surgery and other major claims, there are some private companies whose policy's will cover u for sum of the 30%, not all of it but you'll be out of luck for smaller things like colds and what not. There are ten million japanese companies - my wife's insurance company is Kampo.

hope that helps,

\:\)

i have only wrap yourself round a tree insurance, it is 4000yen a month for whatever part of the 100% i am covered for. so your 30% would hopefully be less.

remember to distrust any salesman and spit on his back as he leaves. if not, at least get in some sort of prevenge for when they don't pay up.

anyhoo, good luck.

I would STOP paying your National Health Insurance premiums (if it's at all possible). My wife (Japanese) uses it and I find mine to be much better (so does she).

I use a NZ company called Global Health Care Limited. I've been with them for 3 years and they pay 100% in almost all of the claims I've made - and I've had many many claims.

You have to be an expatriot or spouse/child of one. I pay around US$1300 per year but the beauty of it is it's more than just health insurance, it's also travel insurance, $10,000 life insurance, eye, dental, loss of income, and much much more. And they always reimburse me quickly without hassle. They also have people the can speak Japanese for you to a doctor if your level is a bit low. They interpret the Japanese medical reports for you, etc, all part of the package. I seriously reccomend them for all foriegners. They have covered millions of yen worth of bills for me. Never a problem.

Japan telephone number is 00531-64-2084, NZ64-9 309 2119. Email: enquiries@global-hcare.com. Web: www/global-hcare.com

Hope this helps.

We don't have to stop paying anything because I don't have to pay any extra for Jared to be covered by my National Health Insurance. Technically, he is my dependent since he theoretically doesn't work as many hours as me (I say that becuase he actually does a hell of a lot more teaching than I do in a week!!!).

I would prefer some better insurance, but I don't have a choice and my other 30% is covered by a private company that JET pays for.

Anyways, thanks for the info Chauncey... hopefully we won't need to claim much cos I really don't want Jared wrapped around a tree!!!