My 17" brick of a monitor not only flickers horribly, it has started saying 'peeeeeeee' all the time. This will not do.

So I'm in the market for a 17" LCD flat screen that costs less than 5 man if possible. Does anybody have any recommendations for makes, models, and online shops? Any warnings about totally duff products?

A friend just got a 17" Mitsubishi LCD monitor for 6 man, the screen size is equivalent to a 19" brick. She raves about it, but not as much as her partner, a veritable techno wizz ...

The 15" may suffice if you're looking for one the size you have now, and that'll come in under 5 man.

People do tend to rave about their new flat screens.

I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a 19". If you could find out where they got it, I'd appreciate it. Cheers.

Check them out in the shop if you can. They should have a number of monitors rigged up to the same machine so you can compare.

I got a brick last time, because I didn't like the whites on the flatties.

Probably better now though.

Not trying in the least to push Mac for fear of being acused a blind and idiotic loyalist, but if I had the money I would LOVE to get one of their 23" beasties!! In fact I will take 2 of them!!! More!

Sorry to not be of any help Ocean, but I am hoping one day some very rich single and reasonable looking lady in her 50's will read SJ and take a shine to me and offer me her wealth to join her in her loneliness. \:D

NoFakie, whites being of no small importance to translators, eh? I'll try and find a shop in Matsuyama that has discount electronics.

mogski, I did glimpse at the heretical monitors, but the price of sin is just beyond my means. Sexy six-digit priced monitors, mmmmmm....

Christ this peeeeee is driving me nuts!

Consider getting a pair of 15" monitors. Depending on what your needs are of course. I'm hooked on dual monitors - and I'd love to one day afford trading in my trusty HP 20" RGA for a flat screen. Mogs if you do meet that woman and she's gay (or bi) send her my way - with the Apple cinema display monitor, of course.

sunrise, I have dual monitors, and dual computers. What's the advantage to you of two monitors?

One computer has an old Apple 15" monitor, and the other has the Mistubishi 17" that says peeeeee. The two monitors like to interfere with each other when they're both on.

Do you know of a way of connecting two computers to one monitor? My computers are networked, but I can't open programs over the network. One of my computers is dedicated entirely to piracy, entertainment, and backup.

You can run two computers through one set of interface gear (keyboard/mouse/monitor) with a KVM switch.

Alternatively you can go dual-head, one computer-two monitors, with certain video cards. It gets you a huge desktop display if you've got the physical space for two monitors. I don't know about now, but such video cards used to be Matrox's niche.

db idiot big mouth time.

Multiple monitors are a must. I find it almost impossible to work with a single monitor. Currently I work (AT MY PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT, not at home) with three 21" FP's side by side, one huge desktop. Plus a fourth stand alone 17" panel running off its own computer. Sadly I am about to give up one of my 21" screens.

A few guys here at work have 9 (yes, 9) 17" flat panel monitors, 3 screens wide, 3 screens high.

I will even roll my eyes at myslef to save the eye-rolling posters the trouble.

:rolleyes:

You should specify that is at work there buddy to keep the eye rolling to a minimum (he's got an iMac at home, chuckle).

I like a brand called AG Neovo quite a bit. I was thinking about buying a 19" LCD for a while but there is a pretty large problem I see with the LCD market right now...resolution. An LCD works on a native resolution and can be interpolated down to run at lower resolutions. Almost all 19" LCDs run in SXGA mode which is native to 1280x1024. While 1280x1024 is not good enough for me, it is also an unnatural resolution (5:4 instead of regular 4:3). What I need in an LCD is UXGA which runs natively at 1600x1200. Unfortunatley the UXGA market is very small right now. There are a couple high end $1300+ models and a couple low end $800ish off brand models. Most UXGA LCDs are 20in. or more. So I imagine in another year or two we will see more 19" UXGA LCDs around the affordable $600 range, and then I will most likely get one.

Another issue to consider when LCD shopping is dead pixels. Many retailer/manufacturers will only replace an LCD if it comes off the assembly line with more than a certain number of dead pixels (i.e. pixels stuck in a certain color). The number can be as high as 8. If you can test it out before you buy then switch the desktop color to black, then white, then another color and look for a dead pixel or two. They are quite common and if you can find a floor model with none you might want to try to snatch it. Just to note, the pixels come dead from the factory, you don't actually have to worry about pixels dying on you.

Ocean - you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a 17" for under 5 man. I would do my best to find one that supported what is called S-XGA+ which has a (strange, but correct) 4:3 native resolution of 1400x1050.

Hi Ocean,

I guess two monitors depends on your needs. It's a godsend for music recording/sequencing apps, and graphic apps. I'm not a heavy duty graphics user but when using a music program screen space gets really important. You can even open one window over the two monitors, which is heaven in a long song, and totally cool for other things.

But it's also helpful if you like to have lots of windows open at once (in any app) and want to shove a few aside while working on something else.

For graphic apps you tend to put the tools on one screen and the page you're working on on the other screen.

I have a 15" powerbook with it's lovely horizontal screen, which supports dual monitors, so I also use my trusty old 20". Lately I've been doing my main work off the 20". For awhile I was doing it off the powerbook's screen, but I realise in general I prefer my monitor to be further away from my eyes. I think I'm farsighted.

I know a number of people using dual monitors in their computer based studios. One guy I know uses 3.

Hmmm.... I wonder if you could hook up your two monitors (once you replace the noisy one) to your two computers?

db - what apps are you running on your 3 (soon to be 2) monitors? Surely not graphics at your office. Spreadsheets? I bet 3 monitors would be fantastic for those.

hi sunshine,

the stand alone screen is dedicated to Bloomberg. One of the 21"-ers is for other market data apps (lost of windows with tiny numbers that flash all the time, of which most are of no interest to me. The other two are for spreadsheets + usual office apps. Like you mentioned, having one window stretched across multiple screens lets you see so much more of what is going on. For you it is probably those wriggly sound waves that represent tracks in a song? For me it is columns in one very 'wide' spreadsheet, or several spreadsheet all visible at once between which I do a lot of copy and paste. what I like most is just being about to shove something off to the side of one of the screens when I am not interested in it, rather than having it minimised or hidden being the active window.

Ocean, get multiple monitors on your desk, even a couple of box monitors, and you will never be comfortable again with just one.

I plan to set myself up at home with this fancy stuff in about 4 years time... who knows what a computer monitor will be then!

(yet abother iMac frustration is that they do not support multiple monitors, beside useless video mirroring).

Quote:
Originally posted by db:
(yet abother iMac frustration is that they do not support multiple monitors, beside useless video mirroring).
That was one of the clinchers that got me choosing a Powerbook vs iBook. Same issue. Which iMac? One of those nice flat panel lamp models?

I also relish being able to shove windows out of the way. When working in a music app it's nice to see the whole track nicely stretched out with the waveforms easily visible to the naked eye.
  • 1 month later...

I finally got an IO Data 17' monitor and a small KVM switch that joins my two computers to one I/O set. What a huge difference it makes to ease of use. And no more peeeeee when I'm working.

If you're thinking of getting anything in Japan, I really recommend http://shop.tsukumo.co.jp/ They have the lowest prices, most easy to understand presentation, and excellent service.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two computers and I used to have two keyboards, two monitor and two mouses which cluttered up the desk. (It also led to embarrassing attempts to type using the wrong keyboard. :rolleyes: )

The KVM switch has a central unit with sockets for keyboard, mouse, and monitor (yer input and yer output), with two cables branching off that each end in sockets for keyboard, mouse, and monitor. This means that you can control two computers with one I/O set. To switch between computers, you just hit Ctrl on the keyboard twice. As the computers are also networked with a router, you can do a lot of stuff between the two very easily.

4519157001687m.jpg