I'm having an annoying small problem with my ADSL line. It seems that when someone calls us on the phone line, sometimes the ADSL internet connection gets cut. Sometimes I have to take out the cable and put it back in, but sometimes have to restart the PC to get the internet working again.

Anyone else have this or is it something that needs fixing on my connection?

• 2 weeks later...

It has happened to me a few times I remember when it was first put in and the NTT guy was here doing his stuff, he said that you may need to reconnect sometimes when that happens. It doesn't sound right to me that this should be happening.... mad.gif

There seems to be a lot of broadband throughout Japan. Since it took a little longer to get popular there it is also a bit faster. Not uncommon to get 8-12mbps DSL. In the USA 1.5mbps cable and 256-768kbps DSL are the broadband standards.

Broadband is really taking off here after such meager beginnings a few years ago (especially compared to the headstart that Korea had). YahooBB is even offering a 26MB wireless LAN package now (obviously throughput can vary).

And PON (with FTTC/FTTH/FTTB/FTTwhatever)is coming down the road soon, both here and in the US. That'll blow the doors off ADSL if the providers price it right and agree to some industry standards.

I've had ADSL for about 2 years now. I'd go freaking nuts if I had to deal with the old speeds again.

In 3 month's time, optical fibre lines are going to be available, and then I'll probably sign up for that.