Parts of Nihongo I have most problems with

Quote:
Originally posted by scoobydoo:
I was told that moshi moshi was mostly used as a telephone greeting.
Yes, but in my usual fashion I questioned my teacher endlessly as to why this is so. I told her I didn't want to say it 'just because that is what you say'.

According to her, moshi moshi or something similiar came from quite some time ago. Let say you were cruising along in Edo and you dropped the lid to your bento box but didn't notice. A samurai might notice and to get your attention he might say "moshi moshi", but not in the nasal cartoon character manner that so many Japanese speak in these days. It should be said slower, a little bit drawn out. This is now how I say it, in keeping with the origins rather than 'just because that is what you sday on the phone'. And I almost never say it on the phone. If I do I just use a single "moshi".

I say moshi moshi to the grade 1 kid who is always day dreaming with his index finger firmly jammed up his nose, he barely notices me but the other kids just about fall of their chairs laughing.

Dale, That would make sense, as I am a G who can't speak Jap very well. So what??

Besides, until proven wrong I stand by my reasoning and continue to apply the original usage of the phrase/word. Who cares if the young keitai crew of Shibuya don't understand. I prefer to communicate with adults anyway.

moshi moshi is an expression that an older Japanese person might use to call somebody's attention to something instead of sumimasen. Kudos to db for finding out about it and being curious.

What older people say is actually coming back into fashion in speech. The use of 'zenzen' in a positive sense, so frowned on by middle aged Japanese, was actually standard in the Taisho and early Showa period.

Other horses for courses;

Ne, ###-san

Sumimasen...

Ano ne

Ano sa

Chotto...

Oi!

Ne, kiite

Thanks, Goemon, that was a fun exerpt.

As for db, his spelling sucks, but as the second highest poster in this forum and also as a snowboarder who landed a backflip in his debut year, I guess he has the licence to say whatever he likes in whatever language he likes.

• 9 months later...

Time for me to ask another Nihongo question.

This question appeared in a test I recently took in my Nihongo class:

Fuutou ( ) kami de tsukurimasu.

Make envelopes with papar.

and

Taiya ( ) gomu de tsukurimasu.

Make tires with rubber.

In both questions, I entered "ga" in the blank and was marked as incorrect. The sensei said the correct answer should be "wa". After reflection and going over some grammar texts, I still find it hard to accept that "wa" is the correct answer and in fact I believe "o" is the actual correct answer. I asked the sensei about this and he still maintains it is "wa" but I cannot understand this.

Anyone help?