Man that is total BS. What a cruddy system.

It reminds me of that movie Brokedwon Palace. Except thats set in Thailand. When i was there i was so careful not to leave my bags even for 3 seconds. I checked my bags just before i handed them over to make nothing had been put in there. A bit extreme? Maybe. But i wasn't going to risk it.

One of the highlights of being a lawyer in court must be standing up and shouting "Objection!". That looks fun.

But seriously, this case sucks, and it seems the system sucks bad too. mad.gif

the court system in Japan is a kangaroo court and 3rd world. I hope they can put enough governmental pressure on it to open another hearing, but that would probably be a first so who knows if such a thing is possible here.

The much-vaunted US system isn't really that great or "first-world" either. In fact, judging by what I've read, there's hardly a country on the planet where I'd want to serve even a short jail term.

Here in the great USA, you'll get a longer sentence just because you're not white.

You may find drug-related convictions give longer sentences than violent crimes.

The unbelievably expensive, failing and ill-advised "War on Drugs" packs our jails with minor offenders who haven't stolen or damaged property or committed violent acts...all at the expense of my tax dollars.

DNA testing is proving that a significant number of death-row inmates DIDN'T DO IT.

Rich people who probably DID do it, often walk free (like OJ Simpson did, and Robert Blake probably will).

Police brutality and violations of civil rights are everywhere but we have to pretend they hardly ever happen even when filmed (Rodney King) or described by eyewitnesses (Abner Louima, rectum and intestines torn in custody by a broomstick handle).

Payoffs, corruption, suppression of evidence, drunk-driving politicians, prosecutors, cops and their family/friends getting off scot-free.

The guarantee of being homosexually raped in prison, and hope you don't lose your teeth and/or the HIV lottery when it happens.

It's positively third-world.

Is it really that different anywhere else? I hope so, but I don't believe it. A lot of the stuff police have to do to complete their job...and a lot of the people (criminals) that they work with...require techniques and procedures that might shock the average person, without which the police could not do their job.

Move along now, and stay out of trouble.

While prison systems have faults the world over, Amnesty International does seem especially concerned about the legal system and prisons in Japan.

The Japanese system places so much emphasis on confessions that it's ripe for abuse. Several famous cases of rough justice in the UK, for example, were based on confessions that were forged and/or obtained through intimidation.

The regime imposed in Japanese prisons also sounds inhumane.

Yeah, enderzero, I wonder which is really worse.

It would seem that the nastiest part of Japanese prisons is the brutality of the guards and the feudalistic, petty rules enforced by beatings(can't wipe the sweat off your face until the appointed time, can't open your eyes before the appointed time, the manacle set some have to wear while eating their food off the floor like a dog, the pants with a slit in the back so you can poop [but not wipe] while manacled, etc.).

This in contrast to the nastiest part of US prisons, which seems to be the constant, unregulated brutality of other inmates, including beatings, gang battles, frequent homosexual rape, intentional mutilations and risk of murder in showers or other common spaces.

Are Japanese prisons all the same, or are there tough ones and easy ones?

Here in the US, we have two main prison systems: federal prisons for those who are convicted of federal crimes, and and state prisons, for those convicted of state crimes.

Each system has a range of places, such as maximum-security prisons (probably the scariest) to minimum-security prisons (where politicians and rich people convicted of non-violent offenses can play tennis and serve out their time).

The federal maximum-security penitentiaries are generally considered the worst.