You know that winter is always just around the corner when the Sake Matsuri, held annually in Higashi Hiroshima, is coming up. clap.gif Theres nothing so enjoyable as drinking the country's finest sake, from Okinawa to Hokkaido, with over a thousand different bottles, with a bunch of drunk and stumbling Oji chan, Obaa chan, and gaijin. If any of you are close to Hiroshima, have friends - i.e. JET mates down here, then I suggest you come on down!!

www.gethiroshima.com/en/Events/details?eventid=183

or if you can read Japanese

www.sakematsuri.com/

Very tempting that. Have to see how things work out for the rest of the week.

I've been to that sort of thing before, and while you tend to get awash to the gunwales in about 30 minutes and quite unable to tell one sake from another, they're usually a very good day out.

Ocean,

Thats for the super express ferry. You can get from Matsuyama to Hiroshima or even to Kure in about 2.5 hours by local ferry. Wanna say its at least half as cheap. Yup, Koshinokanbai runs just over a Man for a bottle here in Hiroshima but bought it for about 4500 up in Niigata last summer. Regardless, should come and have a good time! Come and drink Kirei or Houki, two local brews from Saijo and my favs! \:D

Thanks YP, I figgered that was probably the case. A slow cruise across the waters with a cigar surely can't hurt, eh?

I really want to try that Hiroshima sake that's made in a super-modern mini factory under a 'mansion' somewhere. Hiroshima certainly has some good sake.

• 1 year later...

>Does Hiroshima get really crowded around that time?

Its not bad at all... The hiroba (park) holds a good number of people and there are always people passed out that you can just sit on like zabuton. Not bad really.

Ive been going for years and have never had a bad experince there - except for drinkin like a fish from 10am till I puke or pass out, but that was only like 2xs that happened. Ive learned how to stop chugging and just drink. Much better off for it too \:D

I love goin around to all the different factories that make sake and seeing how they do it plus you get to see some really nice architect too. Sake at the factories USED to be free but now you have to pay something like 200-400 yen depending on the quality of sake. Too bad that you have to pay for that now but in the hiroba it costs like 1200 yen and its all you can drink. Over 1000 bottles of different sake from Ishigaki shima to Hokkaido.

Ive been to probably almost all major matsuri in Japan, except for the one thats every 7 years in Nags which Im dyin ta get to..., and this is still one of my most favs \:D

If youre headin down O11 or Blinkin'ek lemme know...