The first picture has a continuous line with well over 1000m vertical and was still in condition in early June. The main line that you can see has a big cliff half way down. The line I want is lookers left of that. Wish I had a better picture.

What is even better is that you can drive to within 45 minutes of the bottom. And then that 45 minutes hiking is along a fairly level road. Really good access. The only problem is that they get the morning sun and would have to be skiied very early to be safe.

Kasgadatake Chutes

blpic25529.jpg

These lines would have to be hit in early May. They get the afternoon sun so seem to melt earlier but they could be skiied easier than the others without the super easrly start. The access to these are much longer and bit more difficult than the previous pictures but that could be shortened with mountain bikes.

Hotaka Chutes

blpic25530.jpg

Never used paintbrush before. The possibilities are endless.

Red arrow is good chute.

Blue arrow is cliffed out chute.

blpic25535.jpg

Thanks Yuki. The Hotaka chutes have most certainly been skiied. The Karasawa Valley is just on the other side and from what I hear is very popular in spring for BC.

Id like to hook up this winter for some lines with ya - maybe Ill be able to work out a trip up ur way next season. Itd be nice to find a group of mates to ski with up here cuz I dont know anybody around Kansai. Hopefully that will change. Peace!

Hey toque i like the biglines write up death line.

I like this line with more snow but that monster cliff at the bottom is asking for trouble? blpic25536.jpg

Yuki are we still on for next weekend kayaking. You can take JR or Hankyu to my house.

JR mukomachi

or

Hankyu higashi muko

both are the kyoto lines and im at a local station.

Hankyu is cheaper.

Yah that is the big cliff. Not really death but it is probably 20-30 metres. Would hurt rolling over it. And then you would probably plunge through the snow into the creek below dying a most horrific death involving freezing cold water.

Yuki you should come up next winter. More people to ski with the better.

If you come early we can have 2 runs down the hozu river if you come late 1 whenever we need an hour or 2 to get you comfortable in the boat.

Im all about hijacking threads. Toque did you look at anylines around tateyama?

I never got into Tateyama. Weather never cooperated. I really want ski that area next spring as well. So many places to go.

That line is about a 1000 metres vertical. Probably take 2-3 hours at least to climb it at least.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
I never got into Tateyama. Weather never cooperated. I really want ski that area next spring as well. So many places to go.

That line is about a 1000 metres vertical. Probably take 2-3 hours at least to climb it at least.
And 60 seconds to get down!!! lol.gif
  • 2 weeks later...

So this is the other side blpic26024.jpg

Of this

blpic25530.jpg

The Right top corner of photo 1 matches up with the Left sub peak in Photo 2.

Green Arrow shows where you get dropped off by the Shin Hotaka Gondola. About a 2 hour hike from there.

Black arrow is closest big chute

Red and Blue are some others which would involve a bit of scrambling to get to.

Could ski down these and hike out of Kamikochi and get a car hopefully left near the Abo Pass tunnel.