Have you ever been threatened - either physically or otherwise?

I can't post details but I had a real bad week last week and I was threatened last week when an ex-colleague back in the US said he was going to sue me and my business. I am pretty sure I was not in the wrong, but it still put the shits up me anyways.

Feeling better now, and the situation is diffused but that wasn't fun.

Sorry to hear that. Legal matters like this are never good fun. Wait until he actually does sue you before you start worrying too much because he may just be all bark and no bite. But if your really worried about maybe you should go to a lawyer and have a chat to them and see if they think there is any risk of being sued.

I think you'll find most people have been threatened to some degree. I've had a couple of death threats for doing nothing at all, except my job. Thems the breaks and most people have big mouths and no guts to back it up.

About 5 years ago, an Iranian guy wanted to kill me (long story). Since we both knew where each other lived, it was a little unsettling, especially cos he was always going on about how "connected" he was. in the end he was all hot air and not hooked up after all - he fled the country a few months later when it got a little too hot for him (related to why he was giving out death threats).

Some good did come of it, I moved away from Tokyo and up into Nagano where I picked up snowboarding.

I agree with everything snobo freak says here - if ya really worried, go get sum advice about it (legal i mean) but if it's already diffused then just forget it (however hard that may sound) and chill out, think of the snow dude. Only a few more months to go = )

Some big German guy threatened to kill me once. I was quite drunk and don't know why he wanted to kill me-maybe he liked the girl I was with and was pissed off she was with a drunken bum like me. Because I was drunk I thought it was quite funny having this dude I'd never talked to before say "I'll kill you if I ever see you again" or something like that. My Japanese mate who owned the bar had a few words with him though and that was the end of it. The legal thing sounds fairly hairy given the nature of litigation in the US. Good luck. Yeah bring on the snow.

fukdane I'm actually just in retail. More specifically I manage a local video store for a rather large chain. You'd be suprised how angry and fired up people get over such trival and small things. Example - late fees.

I've had about 5 or so people tell me they were going to kill me and wait outside for me after I closed the store. I've had a one written one as well.

From all that there has only been once or twice when i've had people waiting for me outside. I had to call security once because there was a group of 5 Tongan gentlemen outside and I wasn't going in the mood to get belted as I was by myself and I'm not a big person. once security got them to buzz off I left and that was that.

But like I said before most people are just blow hards and talk a lot but when it coems to the crunch they back down.

Unfortunatly, got attacked in a pub in Timaru NZ afew years ago, for no reason other than I had hair down to my arse, Stupid Devil Henchmen (Local neo nazi gang) starts giving me greif, asked him if he could be a nice man and leave me alone, so the bone head flicks out a knife(nearly shat myself)but lucky for me I have been training in different martial art since about 7 years old so I took the knife off him in a not too gentle manner, managed to break his arm in several places at the time, spent a few hours in a police holding tank but got released for self defence.

Best advice, stay out of troubles way. A bit difficult at times so next is take a self defence course, these work, But in NZ if you are a trained fighter by law you must warn your would be attacker first then strike, something to do with the differece between self defence and assault. but for me, if someone is threatening me of my wife they'd better be ready

I've found that people tend to get on with trying to kill me without any such formality as a threat.

In the excellent book "Witnesses from the Grave", the young team of forensic anthropologists who were digging up the victims of disappearances in Argentina in the 80s started getting death threats. They soon realized that it only takes enough courage and resources to pick up a phone. Then when they got confident about the issue they started saying things like "I'm sorry, we only accept death threats between the hours of 2 and 6. Please call again later."

At gunpoint once. Verbally too many times to remember.

As a young kid I was in danger anytime I stepped out of the house. I never used the regular sidewalk or streets to get from A to B. I ran inbetween houses and through allys to stay hidden from the older kids that would undoubtedly hurt me if I were caught.

scouser, LOL. Yup, a lot of em look quite rediculous eh? Chinpira are the low level - your basic entry position in the Yasan world of crime. They do most of the dirty work and if you saw the news last night, a military guy was shot in Nagarekawa (Hiroshimas party district), like Susukino in Sapporo \:D , by some unknown group. All I heard on the news briefly last night was that an unknown male (gaijin) had been shot after and unknown incident. Dont you love the details in Japan?

Heres a link but not too much info:

mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20031026p2a00m0dm004001c.html

Seems that Americans arent safe anywhere anymore. Maybe the Yasans have joined the Taliban?? wakaranai.gif

Point of the story - dont Fu$# with the Ya san.