On the local news tonight, we had some kids in fancy dress cavorting around Komoro in southern Nagano. They were being led in shouts of "Happy Halloween!" and "Trick or Treat!" by what appeared to be several foreign teachers waving their school's banner in front of the cameras. Locals were being goaded into handing out goodies on what my calendar says is October 21st.

I hear that Tokyo Disneyland has a Halloween Special that is held every single day in October.

I don't know why, but this winds me up far more than any of the other Japanese distortions of Western cultural events mad.gif

OK, now that we know when Halloween is, does anybody have any suggestions about making or acquiring Halloween costumes? What do people usually do? Hire them (if so, where)? Make them?

Advice please!

Well, if you were prepared to make the crossing (short but exceedingly expensive) to Osaka, I could recommend a great little costume store near Junkudo in Namba.

failing that, one year I wrapped my head, and hands in bandages, got suited and booted, put on the shades and went as the invisible man. Highly recommended, but may I suggest a nose brace under the bandages. It took a week for my nose to recover from that night.

yeah i know of other town halloween parties (ie the big one in shiojiri) celebrating this weekend rather than on the 31st. easier to do it the saturday before rather than on november 1st.

and whats the fun in just hiring a costume? you gotta work on it and put it together. 100yen shop is full of gems.

Having a horror fest night in with some chums on Friday night. Halloween, Evil Dead, Omen, lots of booze and snacks. Yipee! I love Fridays.