In about 1986 I watched a surf movie that even then was quite old (1972 production). I was a kid and just thought it was an old movie with great waves. Didn't think anything else at the time.

Well, years later they released the remastered 25 year aniversary edition. I watched it recently with an old mate of mine and was almost moved to cry (note: the contrast to life in Tokyo certainly added to the emotional state - I am not a movie sook).

The effect this movie had on me 18 years later was profound. It is my alter-ego's 'meaning of life'.

I am blasted if I can find it on dvd, only VHS. If anyone has the word on dvd versions please let me know.

The movie is Morning of the Earth and I suggest everyone here find the chance to see it. Even if you do not like surfing, just look at the images and listen to the music.

Mogski - not such a bad idea. In fact a bunch of us should get together for a surf-and-pre-season-snow-movie party. I have good space, but a lame sized tv (at least, lame for this type of event).

Sunshine - I remember seeing Crystal Voyger. Cant remeber the movie, but remember the title. Saw it around the same time as Morning of the Earth. Also recal seeing one called Fantasea.

Goemon - if you find it then PLEASE grab it. I will pay you back in cash, compliments and the king seat at my upcoming aforementioned video night.

db: I'll pick you up a copy if I see it.

Would be nice to have a surf flicks viewing party in the dead of winter. I did a bit of the opposite this summer, watching snowboard flicks with Mr. S when it was blazing hot outside. Surreal feeling. cool.gif

there's a surf documentary type film just out called "the far shore". its about the real-life travels of two american surfers in the 70's. they went everywhere from the pacific to angola. i haven't seen it, but its supposed to be awesome - it's more about their travels and lifestyle than a hardcore surfing movie. details at www.surfermag.com