This is a topic in which I have done a bit of study and written a couple of papers on.

Nori chan - the Satanic Church that you speak is used mainly by "modern" Satanists. To the best of my knowledge it was founded by a gentleman named Anton Szandor LaVey who has also written a number of books on the topic. The most important is probably "The Satanic Bible" and it is quite an interesting read. Modern or "Laveyian" Satanism is very different from traditional Satanism.

Laveyian Satanism is more of an humanistic religion than a Satanic one. The people who practice this religion do not worship Satan as such. They basically believe that you should whatever you want as long as it doesn't purposly hurt others. In other words, give in to temption and don't fight your human instincts. After all, you are human. \:\)

Traditional Satanism is much darker and they do worhsip Satan as a being.

So to answer your question, yes there are Traditional Satanists who believe that Satan exists, but there are also people who label themselves Satanists when they are more like Humanists (Laveyian Satanism).

It is the same as every other religion/new age enlightenment/cult/little pebble.......

Sure, the rules are different but they all have in common the same oddities.

Imagine hearing the following:

"God and Christianity is so silly, I do not believe. I am a modern satanist".

Well thats ok then, you perfectly rational person. {sarc}

Please......

All bullshit.

C H R I S T I A N I T Y vs. S A T A N I S M

MUSIC

Amy Grant vs. Dead Can Dance

Hymns vs. This Mortal Coil

CLOTHING

khaki pants vs. leather pants

Laura Ashley look vs. Perry Farrell look

Gap/Crew/Bauer connection vs. Highlander-the TV series

ACCESSORIES

cookies vs. body piercings

vacuum cleaner vs. tribal tatoos

RECREATIONAL PASTTIMES

church bake sale vs. Renaissance Fair

bingo nite vs. fetish nite

PREFERRED MODE OF TRANSPORTATION

minivan vs. motorcycle

MOVIE

Sound of Music vs. The Crow

EMPLOYMENT

full salary & benefits vs. retail clerk/part time

DWELLING

suburban home vs. dorm or rental apartment

db - I completely agree with you. I think it's crap as well, but I respect that some people believe in it. Personally I wouldn't follow it, or any other religion for that matter.

brit-gob - I'm not 100% sure what they do as I have never been to one. But I believe its similar to a pagan ritual except with incantations to various evil beings and alll that. Modern satanists have three main types of rituals but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I'll look it up when I get home.

> I respect that some people believe in it

What does that mean?

Does that mean that although you think it's a load of indefensible rubbish, you still automatically hold them in high regard simply for the fact of their belief?

Or does that mean that you respect their civil right to pursue their belief, however ridiculous and unworthy of respect the belief itself? The practical consequence of this kind of 'respect' is that you will refrain from killing or otherwise persecuting believers.

I ask, because the two expressions have been ignorantly conflated so that believers in the supernatural of whatever stripe frequently expect one, rather than simply refraining from burning them alive, to kowtow to their absurd beliefs and practices, and indeed, many otherwise intelligent people oblige.

I find this strange...

Ocean - I respect their right to practice whatever religion pleases them. When it comes down to it it isn't my business at all. Unless they are shoving it in your face 24/7. Prehaps 'respect' is the wrong word for this situation. Maybe 'accept' is more appropriate.

I'd like to add that i think the term "Satanism" in the term "Modern Satanism" isn't accurate at all. As I mentioned before it should be referred to as Humanism or the like, but not Satanism.

i think we really do take political correctness to the extreme these days....

"hey it's ok to hate blacks that's your choice" or "Devil worshipping...i can respect that"

What a load of rubbish.

there is not enuff people who actually state their opinion these days. Unfortunately this tolerence for the crap our society produces in turn ends up fostering it.