Im just about in the market for some new boots and I think there might be a few other interested too.

The old story was race boots and stiffness were the best so I still have the old Nordica GPs from 1999. It seems times have changed and softer boots are it and I think I agree - I ski with my boots basicly unbuckled most of the time. What boots are there now that are worthy of buying? Please add to my list..

Rossignol soft

Flexion (dont know model name)

Salomon 1080s

Line? (havent seen any in real life do they have them ehre?)

What is your foot shape?

Skiing unbuckled is by far not good.

Dont buy line.

GP boots can be rock hard

flexon comp a few different types still great boots but a little narrow.

sallys 1080 boots or pro model as it is now called are good ones.

Dont know about rossi not wide enough for me I think.

Flexons are great but it takes a few runs to understand the power flex function bit.

When I go boot buying I spend 4 hours in the store trying on everything that is in the range that I want.

I have an older version of the Rossignol Bandit boot. It's white and black. Pretty soft I think.

The flex rating is 95/85 compared to their Race boot the yellow/black which is 120/110

I have no idea what that means but it's less than the race boot which I expect is uber stiff. I like them. They fit good.

So somebody needs to explain what the hell the flex rating means.

Captain Stag - You might want to stay away from a downhill boot that advertises itself as a comfortable walking boot with an easy carrying handle.

Yuki no problems There are places in Osaka but I dont know them very well.b The guy I know is in Kyoto. You will pay the sticker price pretty much but he will fit you prefect with what you want. Hell he will even order what you want. I ordered my wifes skis through him cause it was the only way to get her skis other than go to North america.

His shop is called SKI BUM

http://www.skibum.co.jp/

Flex rating toque good question? My boots have the same flex as the first 1080 boots. Now they are a bit softer. When we talk soft though sometimes its in the materials or how much the boot flexs or expands on impacts. The stiffer the boot the more control but also less forgiving. The softer the boot less control but comfortable. Then there is the flexon when fitted right the berst of everything. Too bad they are too damn narrow for my eee feet.

Quote:
Skiing unbuckled is by far not good.
what's wrong with skiing unbuckled. i thought that the whole point (as a skiing exercise) was to make sure you skied properly...

most of the time, i don't have my boots done up that much either... stops me from getting lazy...

anyway, captain stag's boots are so stiff, i reckon you don't need buckles at all lol.gif i can't even pull the liners in and out \:D

Shimba that practise went by the wayside years ago. The chance of popping out of your boot and thus hurting yourself in frowned on in N.A.

If you must ski like that then your boots are not right for you. Boots should fit good not buckled to the max but a nice fit where the ankle does not move. If your ankle moves you can pull it right off, ie spin around your ankle.

Spend the money to be fitted right.

ps your vid link is where shimba please update when its up

Ill have to dissagree there cheif - skiing with your boots unbuckled (someware easy where you wont fall) will very quickly make you fix any foward aft balance issues.) For greater challange do it without poles and take of one ski.

Skied with no poles for 6 weeks all of it being my first powder.

Jared lets understand what you mean?

Are you saying fully undone or straped together right?

I dont see the benifit realyly it does teach you how to flex a boot at all. you need more power vs the boot undone tech doesnt use the boot in the way that the boot was designed. If a kid skies with his boots undone without skills would just be a joke.

Quote:
ps your vid link is where shimba please update when its up
huh?? confused.gif what are you talking about???

Quote:
If you must ski like that then your boots are not right for you. Boots should fit good not buckled to the max but a nice fit where the ankle does not move. If your ankle moves you can pull it right off, ie spin around your ankle.
Spend the money to be fitted right.
well really, that stands to reason :rolleyes:

i dunno... either way, whatever i say usually gets shot down anyway :p the way i see it, if you are not skiing properly in the first place (which i think skiing with boots undone helps you to do...) then you're not going to be doing any "flexing" anyways.

ok, so this is my last word (maybe lol.gif )...
personally, focussing on my balance and skiing with the soles of my feet (boots undone) helped me to improve my skiing, and i'd like to think i do a reasonable job of it... not saying that i go around with my boots undone all the time... but i don't think you understand what i'm getting at cos i'm crap at explaining, so maybe i'll go and do the dishes now \:D

flex being how the boot moves up and down and sometimes about 5 degrees inside or out. Skiing with your buckles undone in powder will force to keep yourself completely balanced on your skisand not allow you to charge or pop.

Sking the groomed helps you find your balance but to make a carved turn there are many factors one of them being how much presure you can put into the ski by bending down flexing the hip knees and ankles. if your boots are not done up right then you will never put the right presure in the right spots.

Vids guys vids

I was on a freestyle team a few year back and my coach would get us to loosen the top 2 buckles and then run the bumps. We would keep the bottoms done up. I didn't really see how this helped and eventually dropped out of freestyle to pursue the epic powder moment.

About Flex standards though. If they can get DIN to be a standard then why are the flex standards not standardized.

Well it kind of is. If you get a boot that is to stiff you might develop knee problems or if you get a boot that is to soft you might get ankle problems.

I know what you saying though. Just ignore the rambling above. But logically it would be best to have a standardized flex rating. But then the ski industry is in no way logical.

din is standard but I still dont trust every binding. I dont like atomic bindings or tyrollia

at all.

If all boot were the same what would make them different. its like standardizing ski flex it just wont/cant happen. all boot act differently some flex power into the turn and some just but power in by being stiff.

• 2 months later...

Finally got new (softer) boots but will still keep the old ones incase I want to do some racing sometime.

I got Nordica Beast 10T. Now I just have to wait till mid nov when they arrive.

captain stag has been trying on those boots for quite a while (they have a range of sizes for you to try, and when you decide to buy, they order them in - or that is what we think), and as it turned out, some friends went and bought 2 complete sets of skis, boots, bindings etc and told the guy we recommended the shop, so we got a major discount on the boots (as a thank you)... we think of it as a free pair of really good footbeds. what great luck lol.gif

My feet are not all that big 27.0

I have put lots of different brands of boot on my foot and nordica are always the most comfortable for me. I wanted the Flections but they were just too narrow for me.

The flex of my old boots is 120 the new ones are 80. They are the softest good ones I could find that fit me.

you have smaller feet than me Capt.

So not ordered just on delay. Finding the right boots is an art. I never go in and buy the first time. if I do I make sure I have loads of time to do what I have to do. I have had the same footbeds for a longtime too. Footbeds are the bomb.