Products where you'd like to strangle the inventor

For me, this would be that sticky plastic tape at the top of new CD and DVD cases. Even after you take off the transparent foil envelope, this annoying strip is still there holding the case closed. Even pulling on the "pull" tab doesn't do anything more than shred this thing into sticky, annoying little strips that can't easily be removed! How incredibly annoying...when you've gone to the trouble of shelling out all that money for your new disc, you don't want to spend 2-3 minutes per case getting this annoying thing off and perhaps scratching the jewel box or leaving sticky residue on it! And god help you if you have short fingernails. I've probably spent a total of 2-3 hours on these over my entire life.

If I ever meet the guy behind this, god help him! Before I strangle him, I'm going to ask for my 3 hours back!

mad.gif

Sigh...only too true.

Maybe I could get 3 of his hours doing something similar, only this time for ME...such as fingernail-scraping the carbonized gunk off my hotplates, or scrubbing the baked/caked mud off the underbody of my 4WD.

\:D

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif ME TOOO!! (don't like them darn CD stickers, or any sticker that won't come off when you want it to)

Sticker Related anger:

Have you ever parked somewhere you weren't supposed to and had some a$$hole put a sticker across your windshield? First you've got to drive home to get hot water, soap, razor blades,etc., to get it off. You look stupid driving home and waste a bunch of time getting the sticker off. I hate when that happens!

Another invention I've found ample disagreements with are radar speed detectors.

Me: Honestly, I don't think I was going that fast.

Mr. Police Officer: Look, it says so right here.

Me: mad.gif

voicemail systems - these things are so stupid. EVERY SINGLE TIME I call a company, I want to talk to a person and ask specific questions relating to my account, or plan, or bill or whatever, but everytime I have to wade through 6 different voicemail menus to finally get to the "If you'd like to speak to one of our customer service representatives, please press 4" option.

Now I am sure that there are hordes of people calling to get the office of operation, or whatever info, but it's just gotten to such a point. . .

Once you get there you have to hold for anywhere between 10-20mins right as the "operators are fielding othercalls and wil be with you very soon. You are number ??? in line" Right?

My vote would have to go to the foil lids on some tetrapak juices. The ones wher eyou have to have child size fingers to get in there. WHen you can finally get at it with something and you pull the damn thing is stuck on with super glue and you have to pull so damn hard that pak litteraly pops up from the rear end and you end up wearing the first 20mls or so on your favourite t-shirt! mad.gif

I hate the sickly messages you get on them too. "At AAAA, we really care about our customers and want you to have the best possible experience, blah blah" - then put you on hold for 10 minutes and next is a machine. mad.gif

Whoever thought we needed an 'Insert' button on the keyboard? And which moron chose to put it between the much-used Backspace and Delete buttons?

There you go with your brain idling in neutral, typing away and regularly hitting Backspace as you do, without noticing that you have also hit Insert, and now Overwrite is active. And while you're thinking about bosoms or beer or whatever, you've been gobbling up the very important paragraphs in front of your cursor.

mad.gif

Excuse me, but when is it ever useful??

So the CD sticker thing...there is a really easy secret to opening those. You just unwrap the outer packaging, then you unhook the bottom of the front of the jewel case. Swing it around and pull off the sticker. I haven't tried to pull off one of the tabs in years, but I do remember how frustrating they were.

As for the keyboard, I heard an interview with the "inventor" of the modern PC keyboard on NPR a few years back. He was pretty upset that everyone in the world was using his design, yet he never saw any royalties. I think he worked for IBM at the time and it was just one of his duties or something. The interviewer asked him, somewhat off the cuff, if everyone that used your keyboard gave you 10 cents, then would you be happy? "Yes, I think I would." he replied. lol.gif

My uncle actually knew the wealthy widow of the man that invented the single serving toilet paper dispenser. You don't see them so much anymore, but they used to be around here and there. It actually just gave you one little square of TP at a time. I was never too broken up about that guy's fate.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Whoever thought we needed an 'Insert' button on the keyboard?
Excuse me, but when is it ever useful??
in can be of occassional use when using preformatted templates. but that doesn't excuse its position.

see gould, "the panda's thumb" for a review of the keyboard's (well QWERTY's) history and its analgous companion in evolution.
 Quote:
Originally posted by mikazooki:

see gould, "the panda's thumb" for a review of the keyboard's (well QWERTY's) history and its analgous companion in evolution.
Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs and Steel" also mentions this when talking about the irrationality of some advanced technology. A good read.

As far as the internet, I know where the original programmer for Netscape lives. We can go track him down while discussing the book. It'll be fun!