Police just stopped me...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is messed up.

I was driving on a very long and straight piece of rural Hokkaido road once, and the 6 or 7 cars in front to me were strangely slowing down doing the speed limit. So i pulled out and passed all of them (no cars in the oncoming lane, it was safe) and as i get to the front of the pack, i see why they are slowing down. Police sitting on little folding chairs, with radar guns, and here i am flying past all of them.

But they never bothered to come and get me. I was really suprised.

FFW 6 years. Driving through karuizawa actually doing the speed limit when i get the flashing light behind me. I pull over in the nearest parking lot, and stop. Not one, but 2 squad cars pull in. I roll down the window, and they see i am not Japanese, and get really nervous. I ithink they called for more back-up.

Anyways, all they pulled me over for was because the tiny light that illuminated my rear licence plate had burned out. Thats it. The looked like they were gonna write me up, but i told them i didn`t even know there was a light back there, and they let me off pending i get it fixed right away.

Scouser, unfortunately my car is incapable of burning it up (although it is practical).

I was on a back road in the pouring rain, 17km/h over in a 40 zone. Totally sucked but thats life the police were OK kind like good cop dumb cop.

Oyuki kigan, Hokkaido is nasty for radar police. Most roads are 50 all the way. Driving north is a challange to stay on the limit!

I got done two months ago doing 70km thru a 50 on the Olympic Road from Hakuba to Nagano. It was on a straight section at the bottom of the long hill as you pass thru Miasa. Just before the straightish tunnel there.

I drive a hybrid and was coasting with the engine off. Its what happens with a Prius if you lightly touch the accel to release the engine brake. Since its a long hill, you'd reach the same speed on a bicycle if you keep your nerve.

We were on our way to our kids first trip to the temple, so I didn't give them the lip they would normally get. The only bright spot is that its no points if I don't reoffend within three months.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
I drive a hybrid and was coasting with the engine off. Its what happens with a Prius...
OT, and I think I have asked this question before, Mr W. Do you have any numbers for real-life fuel consumption for the Prius?

I've been driving a Prius for almost a year now and average about 24kms/litre with mostly rural driving and highway commutes to Tokyo. Mine is a 2001 - the newer model that Wiggles is driving should do much better under similar driving conditions and with similar driving technique...

I'll never buy a 'normal' car again - a 'normal' car should not have the engine running when its not being used! And the best part is knowing you have only 1 tenth the emmissions of a 'normal' car...