Back home, taxis are a great way to get around and relatively cheap.

Here, they're a nightmare. Huge amounts asked for a small journey in a smoky car. Seeing hundreds of the things lined up constantly outside the stations etc, its difficult to see how they can be doing well - there're just so many of the things. I saw a documentary the other night on J tv following the life of a taxi driver and it wasn't much fun. Most of the time hanging around, then being grumpy when someone actually gets in your car.

Taxis in NY are like walking into a video game. You come out of the airport and there's a huge black woman in a uniform jabbing leaflets at you that warn of taxi ripoffs. You then get in the taxi and the driver immediately tries the ripoff of which the leaflet warns. The taxi driver then drives like a madman through the traffic, throwing you about in the back and yelling "Go back to Jersey lady! Bitch!" as he bunny hops the car across town. Over the course of the ride you become so convinced the driver is a psychopath that you do not hesitate to tip him.

Indeed, a great way to get around, if you're planning on writing a book. (We couldn't get on the bus because another enormous black woman shouted "NO BILLS!!" at us and blocked the doorway.)

In Bangkok, a large, cosmopolitan city, it costs no more than $3US to go just about anywhere. The 1/2 hour+ ride to the airport came to $4 for two people. The minimum in Tokyo is over $6 and it goes up so quickly you are already at double that by the next trainstop. There is certainly something wrong with the taxi prices here.

Ocean: nice NY taxi story. I've been in NY cabs that have been like death rides. It's not fun when someone gets out of their car to fight your cabbie who just cut them off, either. Seinfeld talked about this in one of his standup acts, but most new yorkers passively watch the mayhem believing they are safe and secure behind the invincible plexiglass barrier. \:D

Japanese taxis, just like every other muthagrabbin thing in this country, are absurdly expensive.

Last year Xmas night/boxing day morn I got stung 5000yen from Shinjuku 3Chome to Meidiemae. Usually cost 1800 to 2000 but we were smashed and this knob took us to Nakano before I realsied what was going on. To make matters worse, I left my watch with warranty, reciept the works, in his taxi. Never saw it again.

I am impressed with the taxi service in Tokyo. It is the little things they do for you like not starting the meter until they have turned to right direction (if you are waiting on the wrong side of the road). Some drivers stop the meter if it turns out that they have taken you to the wrong road/place (most of the time due to my own fault in giving instructions).

Drivers of the MK Taxi jumped out to open the door for you like a chauffer service. Some taxis in Kyoto have spare umbrellas to give away if it is a rainy day.

The MK Taxi in Kyoto is very famous. The best taxi company in Japan.

I know some people have their own taxi driver like a chauffeur. When you meet a very nice taxi driver, you can ask his or her mobile phone number and always pick you up in their area.

I don't like taking taxi for myself. But I feel comfortable when I'm with my BF. Most of taxi drivers like him and they are very good to him because my BF is very very polite to the drivers and try to tell direction in Japanese. You'll meet nice drivers if you are nice to them. Ne, Siren? ;\)

Yes, Ms S. I like the MK Taxi, especially when I have to go home after midnight after a long day at the office. The drivers are well trained and very polite and we chat lightly which is very relaxing.

I saw a program about some bloke learning to be an MK taxi driver, and he had to learn by rote a huge long spiel including 'Mind if I ask your name?' so that he could then call the esteemed customer by their actual name. Nothing would irritate me more than to be constantly pestered by a taxi driver. It looked like MK had really fallen into that Japanese 'lots of talking = better service' sink hole.

It isn't like that at all in my experience. Some of the drivers know my name because I use them whenever I have a late night (they have a stand permanently under our building) and sometime I use a taxi voucher which has my name on it. They will usually just say Mr. so-and-so thank you for using our taxi again. In the car, they will sometime volunteer "it has been a long day, hasn't it?". If I am tired I will just say yes without offering any comment and they understand and we just ride in silence.

Quote:
Originally posted by Siren:
Japan is not exactly a backpacker destination as you can tell.
Better not tell Enderzero that. He practically backpacked Japan for the whole winter and most of spring last year and he's doing it again this year!
I suppose having the inheritance of a wealthy uncle helps! Oops! I think I promised him I would keep that a secret.
 Quote:
So MK taxis are ripoffs like normal taxis, except that while you're being ripped off you get smoke blown up your ass?
lol.gif Couldn't put it better.

Japan is not cheap that is a fact.