we talked about it...snowjapan put up the video gallery, for a time there, we were all madly submitting our videos so we could share our madness with everyone else... so what now? who is making or has made their ski movie for last season?

we haven't quite finished yet, just a few last minute additions and it'll be done - about 50 minutes long... the movie debut will be later this month with everyone in the movie getting a complimentary copy on dvd... should be fun, can't wait \:D

I tried, I really did. I spent a lot of time downloading media converters and different editing packages and.......

Basically, there were too many different formats in too many differnt sizes at too many different frames per second at too many different resolutions. It was a mess. I gave it my best shot, but I just couldn't get all of the different footage to vibe together.

LPL and I chatted about this a bit. We gave it our best try but just couldn't make it work. One conclusion that we did come to, however - there is now a kickass video section on SJ! \:\) At least that was something accomplished.

I'm about 3/4 of the way done with my own ski movie from this past season. Since we actually had a nice spring and a real summer up here this year, I haven't been on the computer much. I've been out surfing a lot and just kinda forgot to finish the thing. I'll get it done when I move to Alaska in 3 weeks. I'm also planning on taking all three years worth of footage and putting a 45-50 minute movie together. Something to do during those 21 hours of darkness in Fairbanks.

hi J-crew - long time no type \:\)

hope you all are enjoying the steamy summer - we are having a ripper season downuder meanwhile \:D

as plucky said, it's a total pain to try & deal with all those formats, plus you have compression issues, etc... its just not possible. \:\(

but, the video section is great, major props to snowjapan for setting it up!

off to NZ in 1 week!!! YAY!!!

• 2 weeks later...

i thought it would stand to reason you wouldn't use the clips from the video gallery because of the whole format issue... i thought you were going to get people to send in tapes and stuff...

but anyways...

our movie has now been stamped out on dvd, with menus and stuff too...

it starts with a very important warning, then a dramatic beginning, location shots, people in the movie shots, beacon practice/rutch block test segment and then into people's segments with a smattering of other stuff in here and there, a wee segment of the free trip to sahoro, a crash segment, credits (where we don't forget to thank snowjapan for the great holiday!!!) and a preview of the summer in the water with some shots some surf...

and it is all packaged rather nicely in a black, rather professional looking dvd cover...

now we are about to go into mass production so all our friends coming to the ski movie party on saturday can get their complimentary copy!!!! hooray!!! what fun \:D lol.gif

what people need to do is decide on a format.

Best is to stick with mini dv tapes maybe in NTSC or PAL depending on what the majority have then the hassles would be way less.

anyway i haven't even been able to find time to edit my summers vid yet confused.gif

I sorta glad that the title wam bam snow japan didnt get made, hated that name. the 2 boys who were gonna make use pal and ntsc so that hoops it a bit. shimba can you pop your vid up on an fttp site? Or file share it under the name snow japan on k-lite or winmx if you giveme a time say over nite 12am to 8am I can download it over one of them k-lite is better I have the program if you need it.

Fatts, I think you might have trouble using k-lite for filesharing in that way. Simply by the way the system works, with different nodes handling different blocks of data, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to find and download a certain piece of data at a certain time...

Shimba, what software do you use to edit your movies (specifically, what do you use to get it into that small format that Captain Jared recommends)?

The captain and his wife use

Adobe Premiere to edit

TMPGEnc DVD source creator to encode to MPEG2

Adobe Photoshop for menus

Adobe Encore for making chapters and linking them to the movies and creating an image file.

Nero to burn the image file to DVD

And we will use Dr.DivX to make a DivX file sometime.

Fattwins:

The DVD option is good esp if you want to see it on a dvd player or I can send you a DivX file via MSN messenger after I get around to making one which will be after I finish making a pal version of the DVD using a convertor from zelotsoft.net

XXX here

you will need a DivX codec to see it.

take a look here

http://www.zealotsoft.net/

The one I have converts from a avi to dvd vcd or svcd and I choose whether the output is pal or ntsc. Thats only good if good if your editing program can handle editing these non-avi files.

There is another file convertor on the site I haven't tried that might be more useful for converting in the pre-editiing stage.

Next time I make a movie I am going to keep all the chapters in seperate projects and add them together at the end on the DVD. It would be easy to do some chapters PAL and some NTSC and convert the edited, finished PAL chapters to NTSC just before you add them together at the end.

Also, I in no way reccomend Adobe Encore. In theory it should have done the converting and the burning but it was just too buggey and shat itself everytime it had to do any real work. I am tempted to use DVD-Lab from MediaChance next time and because they ask a reasonable sum I might even give them some money if the program works properly.