Whats the 'big deal' with new year here? Every year I get Japanese people telling me how special and a big event new year is in Japan, more than my home country (even though they know zilch about my home country).

And every year I think - well, that weren't as fun as back home...... it seems most people just sit at home watching telly with family, and thats about it. Maybe visit a temple in the first few days of the year. Oh yeah, and read nengajo.

I'M happy to hear if I am wrong or missing out on the big events.

I dunno about laid back. I went to a night club all night and when that shut I went to another club all day, leaving at 7pm. Almost a solid 24hours of beer and party. No less sedate than anything i have seen at home. I think your NYE can be anything you want it to be.

oh, and i didnt do it because I wanted to celebrate NYE, rather because I have 5 days off work and could spare a few to recover. I couldnt easily pull a stunt like that on a normal weekend.

I was in Yuzawa for New Years.

It was very quiet even in the middle of the town. There were some fireworks going off (Kandatsu? Naspa?) and izakayas were busy, but apart from that not much going on there.

They are in need of snow as well....