Cities out here are not designated the same way they are in the states. In the states you have the city limits, urban growth boundaries, etc.. and in most cases, city limits do not run into each other. Often, cities will be surrounded by BLM land, Nat Forest lands, State Park lands, etc..

In Japan, The entire country is divided into administrative units meaning that the entire land area of Japan is divided into city 'units', all of which abut one another. Parklands and other land entities overlay these boundaries and can stretch into multiple city areas. The term 'city' in Japan does not necessarily mean built up land, it just stands for the area that the city boundary encompasses.

Any of that make sense? I'm in kind of a time crunch right now.

I have some GIS data for the whole country of Japan to illustrate the above, but doubt it's of any use to you. Instead, check out this weather map - it is divided into city units but is in Japanese.

Regions (tohoku) ---> Prefecture (Aomori) ---> City (Misawa). That's basically how all land is divided over here.

http://www.mapion.co.jp/weather/index.html

PS - the weather forecasts on the above site are HORRIBLE - don't ever trust them. Who knows what they are smoking.

hey frannyo, yeah thats true. gotta have a cathederal if ya wanna be a city in the UK. smallest city in the UK is St. Davids City on the south west coast of Wales. its got like a population of a few hundred i think. ive been there, nothing to it at all!!! just a bunch of fields, a few barns and a whopping cathederal.

weird eh!!!

That forum is just the best. This Lucy character sounds like a lot of fun.

Why don't the Church People moderate better. Or perhaps these characters ARE the Church People!! lol.gif lol.gif I wonder if the webmaster has looked at his stats and is wondering why they're getting lots of hits from a ski website in Japan lol.gif