its a pretty standard situation, we've all been there. the toast is browning nicely, the water is approaching the boil, the cup is ready teabag in place, and u delidify the butter and the vegemite. the toaster then kindly ejects its contents which u lube up with some butter to make the vegemite nice and easy to spread - when the panick lands... WTF happened to the last of the vegemite!?! then the bastardly ritual of scraping every last bit out of the jar to give a smidge of pleasure to the morning routine. grrrrrrr.

well, i have a solution that will end those nasty starts to the day. keep a few extra jars stashed in the cupboard! after the great vegemite shortage of August 2003, i now keep at least 4 jars in reserve - currently i have 6. so this morn as the knife scraped bare jar, i did not fret, i just opened the cupboard and got a new one out.

no need to thank me for improving your life, its totally my pleasure!

In this first post, replace the word "vegimite" with a word for something edible (like "cockroaches," "slugs," "grubs," "slimy things," etc.), and then enjoy. But I just keep a couple jars of yummy jam in my cupboards. ;\) lol.gif

It's all about the Chipotle Tabassco sauce!

I tried this little gem of a hot sauce one day and proceeded to go through the whole bottle that day. Since I do a lot of my shopping on base, I've learned that they can run out of things and not get a new shipment for weeks. Because of this, I promptly drove to the store and bought every bottle of Chipotle they had - 26 of them eek.gif

I usually have 5-10 bottles in reserve now - just incase another 7.0 + earthquake hits and I get stuck eating bugs and the neighbors dogs. Anything tastes good with a few drops of the Chipotle! \:\)

PS - what in the hell is vegimite? Is it anything like that Nutella crap?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dims:
Vegemite=nectar of the gods (along with beer)
Soooo, what is it exactly besides a spread for toast? What's it taste like? Sounds nasty. I keep imagining a mixture a pea and carrot baby food that you put on toast.
 Quote:
Originally posted by manda:
i havent met a non-australian that likes it (other than the british with their inferior marmite)
Words of wisdom Manda, and they try to insist that Marmite is better, the cheek of them.

I have always said this forum is full of people of high culture and good taste. Who put you onto Vegemite Nekobi? Usually the first taste tend to put people off. The secret is indeed lots of butter and not too much vege, and it is magic with scrambled eggs.

dims- first had it in papua then picked some up when i was in australia. does it ever go bad? i dont eat it that often, so the big jar i have is way past the expiration date (by like a year). i also keep it in the fridge, but noticed it out on the shelf at my friends' houses. hmmm. also heard theres a diff btwn nz and uk marmite, that i think the nz stuff was a bit more vegemitey. yeah, i dont really understand all the nuances of these foodstuffs.