• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
the readin section is a bi#ch isnt it?
Oh my god (sorry bacchus),
that reading part was crazy. I spent all my time trying to answer the 15 questions from the aricles, and then when i had 5 minutes left, saw that the remaining 35 of the questions were short fill-in-the blank style stuff. I ended up cursing and guessing alot.

I heard that even an average Japanese is likely to fail the JLPT Level 1 test. It's not like the TOEFL where anyone who is fluent in English would easily get high scores. You have to be quite literate to pass the Level 1, to a standard of about at least a high school student who is about to enter university. Is this true?

I think that is a bit of an exageration. The issue is that many of the words and terms used are actually not everyday words you would see in the papers. Some of them are quite academic, and this means that there is some truth to what you have been told Markie, because high school students probably haven't learned some of the phrases. But, I think the average Japanese person would pass the test. People I have shown the test to (Japanese) while saying that it is difficult, and getting the odd one wrong, actually can get through most of it simply on gut reactions.

• 2 weeks later...

This bit of info will depress all of us who spend/have spent countless hours (years!) studying Japanese. We had a Finnish exchange student here for 10 months last year. He came to Japan with zero nihongo and sat for 2 kyu this last December after 10 months of being here. Anyway, we just heard that he passed with a score of roughly 320/400!!!!

Thank you Bushpig, I'm delighted to hear that. Now if you would excuse me, I am going to bang my head against the wall a few times. After I recover from that, I'll get back to my shukudai for my next jugyou this Friday.

Bushy - That's pretty insane. Jeez - 10 months.

I know this isn't the same because the person involved is Chinese and she is very, very smart, but a few years back my Chinese friends friend passed 1kyu in one year - from scratch.

Kanji aside - getting a handle on any language in that time is down right filthy.

In my sad case, 3kyu 10 yrs ago, began preparing for 2kyu and thought that's enough of that.

Consequently - that's where I'm at - or less. \:\(

Oh well, Some of us just weren't meant to "speak in tongues"

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
Markie, we all know that youre a genious
Geez, if only I knew what "genious" means or could find it in a dictionary I would know whether I should feel flattered or insulted!
lol.gif
Actually, even if I did know what it meant, I wouldn't know how to take it, since you could actually have meant it or you could be trying to be sarcastic!

P.S. I checked my spelling twice before posting just to avoid getting the same crap I'm trying to dish out.

I am very impressed with the story about the Finnish kid, but a bit skeptical about the one about the Chinese girl. Apart from the fact that the kanji part would have been relatively easy, I am wondering whether she really started "from scratch". If she came from HK or Taiwan, she would have had quite a lot of exposure to Japanese in normal everyday life through tons of J-songs, J-comics, J-cartoons and J-drama which is quite popular here and in Taiwan. If she was from mainland China and really didn't know any Japanese at all to begin with and achieved the Level 1 in one year, then that is really quite an achievement. clap.gif

When I was skiing in France recently, I shared a room with a Japanese bloke called Koji. He was a quite a good Snowboarder and we had a good time together, but what really impressed me was that he was really fluent in not only Japanese but also English, French and Portuguese!

Markie - it was a few years ago now, but as I understand it she had no prior Japanese experience. She was from Beijing and in the local Chinese student community she was very respected as "the brainy one". And that was amongst a lot of brainy ones.

On reflection she probably would have done the 6 month intensive Japanese course which all scholarship recievers undertook. And she would have been enrolled in at least 3~4 Japanese classes/week at uni as part of her studies.

But 1 year - so the story goes.

Yes, Koji was quite impressive and a really fun-loving guy with a good sense of humour. On the first night in the slope he got up in the middle of the night to wash blood off his pillow case. Apparently the dryness made his nose bleed. When the others asked him what the hell he was doing in the middle of the night, he tried to explain but I interrupted with: "Koji, if you had told me you were a virgin, I would have been more gentle with you." We all teased him about that for the rest of the trip.

We skied in Les Arcs, La Plagne, Tignes and Val d'Isere. I also ran into the Russian and Croatian Olympic Bobsled teams who were training in La Plagne. That was very interesting.

Snobee, I guess what you say dispels my doubts, so a bit more head-banging to come.