Just found out my friend has HIV

The subject says it all. Bit of a shock this one. Came out of the blue. Shocker.

Anyone else know anyone with HIV, my friend is gonna need some support and I'm not sure how to go about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Wow. Some serious stuff there.

I hear there is lots that can be done now to prolong the onset of AIDS so I hope your freind can get onto these.

Is your friend a foreigner here in Japan? Or back home?

i know of an aquaintance with HIV.

my last job in oz was working in the immunology department. it is true what mogski says... good patients who stick with the program are not dying. the staff on the ward told stories of the late 80s and early 90s when it was full of patients with AIDS, now the only ones dying are those that aren't especially compliant. i rarely saw an AIDS patient on the ward.

I know someone with HIV as well big-will. They've known for about 4 years now and are coping with it really well. They have gotten themselves fitter and in shape since knowing and with the pills they're popping, seem to be doing well. Very positive outlook on life - one thing Derek really hates is people being all "oh so sorry" with him. I suppose each person will take it differently. Good luck.

There's bound to be HIV support groups around his way. HIV is not a death sentence. It's not AIDs. However it's still a pretty heavy thing to have and not easy with all the social stigma attached to it. I know someone with HIV - she was totally freaked out at first and has since come to terms with it - totally changed her lifestyle and diet as well.

I have a friend who has HIV too - he's known for about 8 years. Back then it was a much bigger jolt than it even is now, he went through a real dark period for about a year. Like sunrises acquaintence, he's turned it round and changed his lifestyle considerably and living with it well.

• 2 weeks later...