Have you ever stolen anything?

If so, what? when? why?

When I was in my teens, I took a few mags from a newsagent. Thats the extent to my theftness. hj.

I have a deep hatred for people who take from their fellow citizens. Stealing from a shop is bad but stealing from a household, in your own country or even town, that worked and saved to buy the things that they have, is a disgrace. These shit kickers decide that they do not have something so they enter your house or car and simply take what they do not have, why work for it when you can take mine. I hate these people. I hate even more people who steal and re-sell. So help me god, never offer me a 'good deal on a dvd player'.

I have seen friends have their entire house cleaned out, right down to suits and shoes and bed sheets.... everything. It makes me sick. If you are a thief, then I hate you.

I've had my house robbed. The theive(s) took all of my CD's. My SHOES!!!!, and some floppy discs that had my college papers on them. mad.gif House insurance can only replace so much!

Too right...

Had our aparto turned over christmas before last, bastard shimmied up a tree and broke the french windows.

All 'it' took was 5000 yen departo vouchers, but the mess was not the cure for jetlag. We first thought there'd been an earthquake.

As for those who took my mtb, or parts there of... I dream of the day I catch someone going at a bike chain w/ a hacksaw... or even better, the ultimate dream, to walk up tp someone trying to steal my current bike, and ask him if he wouldn't prefer to use my key...

mad.gif bastads, the lot of them, and as db says, so too anyone who buys/sells/deals in anything 'hot'

(Got turned over on a regular basis back in blightey, but, well, that was Swansea, what can one expect wakaranai.gif )

as a kid my house was broken into 4 times.

at the age of 11 i interrupted the criminals during the act.

our family's car was stolen 4 times, the last occassion being written off in high speed chase.

my car has been broken into and stolen a number of times.

last month my (reasonably expensive) bike was stolen.

from my experience and the crimes mentioned above...

by far the worst experience is the invasion of your private space during a home break-in. however, these events are most likely to be driven by social problems such as drug abuse or being raised in unstable environments. these are problems born of society, not merely the problems of the individuals that commit these crimes.

pinching cars (in oz) is generally the jobs of joy-riders. it is annoying. (i managed to catch the teenage theives of my gf's car -after they rammed my car - and they were from a rather well-to-do area)

my bike i suspect was stolen to be resold by a person who's job is stealing bikes. this pisses me off the most, yet ironically, was the most easy to accept.

go figure?!??

i reserve my hatred for society generally and what we have become. this way it is spread evenly amongst many people and never shows in too much of an extreme way.

these crooks some of u refer to steal small quantites (granted, sometimes with high impact on those from whom they take) but often get caught and do time.

corporate crims steal millions, and if caught, often get off lightly.

and worse again were the misdirected policies of the IMF, supported by the financial powers of western creditors, that impoverished needy countires.

hatred should be shared against the many, not targeted at the few.

I had my racing bike stolen in Manchester when I was a student.

I only noticed it had been stolen when I had been walking for 30 minutes and wondered why I wasn't riding home (I was always in complete control when I was a student).

With great relief to be rid of the thing, I filed an insurance claim and got myself a 2nd hand bike with no gears and just a back brake, and rode places on it I never went on the racer.

miteyak, it must have been a Chinese person that broke into your aparto...

When I was a kid I stole few chocolates from a corner shop, but it was just peer pressure from my friends at that time.

I had my scooter stolen here in Japan, and I was really gutted. It has affected my quality of life a lot, in that I cant get around properly now. I am going home in August so its not worth buying another one. I left (forgot) the key in the lock for 4 hours on a busy shopping street, so it was an opportunist thief, but still a thief. I think the UK is full of opportunist theives. I would never leave my bike unlocked outside a shop even for 30secs.

When I was a kid we had our house burgled 3 times in 4 months by some local crack addicts down the road. I remember it was quite disturbing. In addition to the personal loss of belongings, there is definitely an emotional response just as bad.

We also had a bizarre incident where someone was coming into our house at like 3am, and just mooching around but not stealing anything. I think he took some sugar one time, but little more than that. It turned out it was one of the (huge) 13 children who lived in the house opposite. My step-dad waited in the kitchen in the dark one night with a baseball bat and scared him off.

I guess none of the pirates on here consider file sharing to be stealing? I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, I'm just curious. Do you define stealing as taking physical property only? Or do you differentiate file sharing from stealing because you are taking from rich (evil recording corporations )and sharing with the poor (other pirates)?

I guess I'm also guilty of stealing by using my work time, which my employer has paid for, to surf the net and frequent this forum instead of working.

However, I don't really feel quilty because the work I would have provided would probably be worthless anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by Goemon:
I guess none of the pirates on here consider file sharing to be stealing? Do you define stealing as taking physical property only? Or do you differentiate file sharing from stealing because you are taking from rich (evil recording corporations )and sharing with the poor (other pirates)?
There is no difference between file sharing on Kazaa, copying DVDs, copying mates CDs, recording movies from the TV on your VCR, recording "Friends" or whatever show on your VCR, recording music from the radio, photocopying university texts.
They are ALL the same. People make a big deal out of filesharing but conveniently ignore the things they have done for ages and thought nothing of.
I guarantee that everyone here is guilty of some kind of media "theft" if your are genuinely not then I would be flabbergasted to say the least.
 Quote:
There is no difference between file sharing on Kazaa, copying DVDs, copying mates CDs, recording movies from the TV on your VCR, recording "Friends" or whatever show on your VCR, recording music from the radio, photocopying university texts.
They are ALL the same. People make a big deal out of filesharing but conveniently ignore the things they have done for ages and thought nothing of.
I guarantee that everyone here is guilty of some kind of media "theft" if your are genuinely not then I would be flabbergasted to say the least.
1. copying DVDs : Agreed, this is also theft
2. copying mates CDs : I believe that record companies acknowledge that when someone purchases a CD, they can make a few copies for themselves and/or friends within reason . The difference with filesharing is that technology has enabled people to copy "mates" CDs from around the world with increasing speed and quality. Don't you think there is a slight difference? Shame on the recording companies and lawmakers for not keeping up with technology, but...it's still theft.
3. recording movies from the TV on your VCR, recording "Friends" or whatever show on your VCR, recording music from the radio : I think those are slightly different. In all of those instances, the artist or owner of the material has received a sum of money for agreeing to have the material broadcast. Filesharing is different. The artist/owner of the material has not agreed to the broadcast (note: there are some artists who have no problem with filesharing and even encourage it; more power to those people!)
4. photocopying university texts. : Are you talking about photocopying the entire book? Or just some passages for a lesson? Anyway, I don't know about this one.

If you are a filesharer, do you believe you are breaking the law? Do you believe you're trafficking stolen goods?

Or do you think that something you used to have to pay for (high quality recorded music, movies, games) is now magically and legally free of charge?

I know it is a grey area, especially when you talk about intellectual property, but it seems like some people in this thread expressed outrage over "blue collar crime" while participating in "white collar crime" on a daily basis. confused.gif

Note: I hope I don't come off as holding a "holier than thou" attitude. I've stolen. I've thieved. I would just like to see some other people fess up and join the party! wave.gif

home_taping.jpg

I am an mp3 robber, but then I am also an aussie convict, what more could you expect?

As additional info to my fess, there have been heaps and heaps of artists who I would never have heard had I not deprived them of income by file sharing. It has very much expanded my rather narrow musical world. Artists are getting exposure.... if that translates into greater hard media (CD) sales then the artists is the winner.

By way of illuminating example: I recently discovered that I quite enjoyed Metal Goa (buttrock goa). I discovered this via file sharing. This plundering led me to find an 'artist' by the name of Infected Mushroom. It turns out that they are more of a psychedelic trance outfit and now guess who is investigating psych trance a little more and is finding other artists that I did not and would never have encountered. Without the internet as an investigation tool and my fileshare client as a sampling tool I would never have been in the position to do business with this artist. I certainly never can be bothered going to the local record shop to try CD after CD (a respectable hobby that many enjoy, I just prefer the comfort of my own home).

I have no use for nor desire to own a CD as the moment I buy one I bung it onto my HD and hence forth never open the CD case again (others call it a jewel case, snigger). However after making a discovery online, I would well consider purchasing it online in mp3 format.

I know little about the music industry, but it appears to me that artists have less need for record label companies in the future. It is quite possible to record an album without them and now you can distribute it without them as well. They (the recording/distribution companies) should be scared.

Historically, the business model surrounding musick has changed constantly. It wasn't always the way it is now. Musicians have always enjoyed a precarious existence precisely because what they offer is a very cheap and intangible and freely tradeable commodity. My son enjoys singing the song 'Faito' by Nakajima Miyuki - should she earn something every time he sings the song? As Goemon's post makes clear, there isn't even an agreed morality among artists, and even if there were, it would be irrelevant.

What is so unselfconsciously and laughably called the 'music industry' is being killed off by technical advances. It happens to industries all the time. If translation happens to be killed off by technology (and I don't think it will), I'll do something else to feed myself.

Of course musick, being entirely different from the music industry, will not die off. It's laughable how the industry likes to suggest that it might.