• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Guardian's main man, David Lacey, is pretty much retired now, but some of the others are good writers. One of them declared, probably correctly, last October that the Premiership was the worst ever. Probably the best football writer is now Henry Winter, but he writes for the Telegraph.

As for Euro 04, it was great for the Greeks, but most of the action in the tournament was negative. I think what people want to see are skills like that double-flick Ronaldinho does in the Adidas advert. I must confess I'm finding myself in increasing agreement with Ian Ridley of the Guardian who advocates making football 9 or 10 a side. Modern footballers cover so much ground now that skilled players are starved of space and time on the ball anywhere near the goal. The pitches can't be made bigger, so fewer players on it is the logical way to go.

If you look at other sports, technology and modern conditioning greatly affect the way they're played. In golf, for example, course preparation is vital to have a successful tournament where the best player wins. If the course is too difficult, as often happens at the US Open and sometimes at the Open but never at the Masters, you end up with everyone struggling and some journeyman with the most luck winning. Likewise on a football pitch, if the pitch is a quagmire or you put everyone in defence, it's not so hard to keep the opposition out with modern fit players. You just mustn't make any mistakes. Ultimately what cost England against Portugal was the mistake of giving Postiga a free header.

Interesting points there.

I like the witty one-liners they come up with for their headlines. Often give me a bit of a chuckle. Todays choice:

"Glenn Hoddle has been interviewed for the job of France coach in Paris. Surely he can't get it. Can he?" lol.gif

Man I would be so happy if Hoddle got the France job, that would make for some good headlines over the next few years (or months!) that he lasts :-)

Did anyone see that story on BBC online yesterday about Ray Parlours ex-wife winning another court battle against him and basically taking everything the poor guy has got. Apparantly she deserves most of his money because, she helped his career. What??? Surely the dude on the pitch and training ground is Ray, not some fat slapper money grabber with fake eyebrows. What a crazy world!

by the way the 10 players a side thing is interesting, but surely it will lead to even more fatigue than we have now, plus all the players would go mad as it would mean smaller squads, less chance to play in the team etc, not to mention an overhaul of tactics for everyone.

Maybe a reverse offside rule where you have to have three players in their half would do.

But you're right, it's not going to happen. Not as long as people still pay their money and turn up or tune in.

It sounds like Wayne the Loon has kicked up a fuss by selling his story to The Sun. Could be the nail in the coffin for his time at Everton. You'd think quarter of a mill would be nothing to him now. I hope the Liverpool fans let him know their feelings next season.