• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a rowing machine once. I thought it was great fun. Would do about 30 mins a day on it and got a big kick out of hearing the thing revving. It didn't last 6 months though... I ran that mutha to the ground. I guess something had to give, but it than me.

Yeah, you often see those tubular metal things in the sodaigomi piles or abandoned in people's garages. I guess they're either broken or not nice to use.

The one I got however is a piece of quality workmanship.

From the pic, it certainly looks it. However, mine was bought at a greatly discounted price in a closing down sale...so not warranty. " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

that is one weird lookin rowing machine! solid looking tho!!

I can't stand the things....I think they are more of a guy's thing....working the upper body etc....

Do u use it much O11?

I have to admit....i can never get motivated to do anything other than press-ups and sit-ups at home. Just cant get in the right mind-set.

sweetaz, they don't only work the upper body. They work everything. How fast and how long you want to do it is up to you. Just 15 minutes at moderate speed is far better than push ups and sit ups (which I also do).

I go at it hammer and tongs for about 20 minutes most evenings. I'm switching from running at night to running in the morning and rowing in the evening. Gotta make me some vitamin D... cool.gif

• 1 month later...

Good on ya Orange! Now that I got a bigger place thatd be sweet as to have!

Ocean, where did ya pick it up and how much was it?

Ive been running 5-6 days per week, little mtn biking and bout to start blading again... Found a great place here to go roller blading. Psyched! clap.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Im just babbling on about running but am really psyched to have sweet trails and nice mountains to run around. Hiroshima was ok up behind Yokogawa and Mitakiji or along a few of the rivers they had some "dirt", anything is better for your knees than pavement. But, here, I have an sea-side boardwalk 10 mins away and the mountains are about 15 to the base. Anybody else running on some mountain trails?

Id love to be in Nagano again - a mate of mine lived in Ina Shi and some of the trails and national parks around there were great - I know Tohoku is just as nice too. Anyway, just rambling wave.gif

Orange,

Im up in Kobe and loving it - especially cuz the area Im living is really clean, lots of green, and got an ocean behind me and the mountains in front. Great trails in the mtns and a nice boardwalk on the ocean front. Now if I could just get a jet ski \:D Im slowly working my way back towards Hokkaido.

Sounds good. I'm really into the jogging again at the mo - probably because its 2 months or so before I go back home again so I want to look my best. Going back for 3 weeks or so is cool, but I eat way too much and it take a couple of months to get it back off when I get back. It is just not worth it when you think about it, but can't be helped!! \:\)

Orange,

Sweet mate! The weather is epic right now for being outdoors eh?! I think the most important thing about excercise is consistancy: at least thats what my coach always said at our 5:30 morning runs in college. Havent raced in a long time but still train pretty consistant and have, FINALLY, learned how to use that same dedication to studying/learning, especially Japanese and Teaching.

If you dont mind, where do you run in Hiro? U in the city? Maybe weve seen each other?

I've done a bit of jogging recently too, shocking even myself. It was hard going at first but I'm getting used to it, and feeling better for it.

Add me to the list. Getting rid of some of the bulk. Time for action. Its nice running round here too, surrounded by mountains.

I've been jogging about 30km every week now for the last 5 or 6 years. I now feel strange if I don't go out jogging 4 or 5 times a week. And give me a week off, and I feel like a bloated tub when I first go back out after the rest. Amazing how you get used to it. I'm probably about 16kg lighter than I was back when I started.

• 3 weeks later...

With the temperatures getting much higher now, I'm finding it much more difficult to run the 6km without stopping. It must be the humidity - I've been eating the same etc, . Not happy about it though \:\(

Orange,

I know what you mean - Ive actually backed off running and am swimming at school about 3 days a week. Kinda lucky we have our own pool so I dont have to pay and I can use it anytime.

Can you go later in the evening? That or early morning would be your other option. Im just not good at waking up early.

There are also certain types of head bandanas where you can stick em in the freezer and then put them on before you run - keeping your head cool really helps. Carry water when you run as well. With the base youve accumulated now itd be a shame to fall back. Ganbare!

I must be a lizard. I find it easier to run further when it's hot.

(I run from around 10 pm, so it's not midday heat, but I run in a much more lively fashion than on winter nights.)

I found it mighty hard to keep going last night - even at 9pm. It was so humid out there. Bugger.

Question - do I use up more calories when its weather like this? I'm sure I must but is it significant I wonder. If so, I will put that extra effort into it for the next 2 weeks before I leave for the summer.

Orange,

Stop running and get in a pool - you will save your legs, knees, joints, etc all the hard pounding and stress. Im only running about 3 days a week now and am swimming almost daily. I gotta scream it:

I LOVE HAVING A POOL AT SCHOOL!! clap.gif

Dont know the exact science behind it but Ive always felt I burn more calories swimming than running. And, I always feel so refreshed after a swim too. In the heat, after a long run, I feel like ass sometimes.

Pool mate, pool. Swim or aquajog.