Twas a load of rubbish. I dread the France game. If they're on form, and we're like this, they'll paste us.

And can we get this Owen ad on the internet somewhere? I want to "out" him lol.gif

Owen? He's from near Chester in Cheshire county, England. Not far from where he plays - Liverpool. Got a north-western-cheshire kinda accent.

Not seen the ad, but it sounds like a classic.

That commercial was for a cheapo suit chain (a bit like Burtons but worse) called Aoyama. I don't think it is on any more. It seemed to be made for the recruiting season. Young Michael's name sounds like the Japanese word for "support" (oh-en), so the company had an "Owen Fair" (Oh-en Fair)" which is a crappy gag meaning "we'll support with cheap suits (invariably navy blue and never worn again) to get a job".

If you've seen Lost in Translation, you'll have a general idea of what it was like. It was better than the weird Beckham one where he sprouts lots of bad poetry about love while eating chocolates under a fake tree.

Crappy puns on foreign celebs names have been around for a while. It's going back a bit, but the English school Aeon used to advertise with big pictures of "Celine D'Aeon" and "cAmErON diaz".

I've only seen the one minute highlights on the BBC website but that looks like a definite penalty to me. If Sven Gordon wants a holding player, maybe he should play Phil the Nev ahead of Butt like Fergie does. Butt would have left ManYoo had a decent bid come in during January.

Doesn't anybody remember Sven saying "Ah but ve fer ferry tayud" all the time during the world cup? That was no doubt because of the enervating climate of Japan. But he's saying it at home too.

I would have thought that saying something like that was a firing offense...

Sounding a bit like Billy the Fish there scouser mate.

Quote:
Doesn't anybody remember Sven saying "Ah but ve fer ferry tayud" all the time during the world cup? That was no doubt because of the enervating climate of Japan. But he's saying it at home too.
Sven did say that at the World Cup, and at that time it was fairly reasonable to some extent - I'm sure all European teams were tired in that heat. (And England did actually play noticeably better when they were in the cooler Sapporo dome and rainy Niigata if I remember correctly.)

Of course, the heat thing does not apply to Manchester?! lol.gif

What he actually said this time around was that the players were tired from training hard the day before and the morning of the game. And no doubt he also mentioned somewhere the fact that the Premier League schedule is touch, etc blah blah blah, etc. Pretty weak, hey? wakaranai.gif

I don't accept any tiring "tired" excuses. It's almost insulting. If these guys are getting considerably more than my annual salary every single week just for playing footie (and more on top of that for saying "2 pants" or "I like cars" and shit), then they can find it in themselves not to be bloody tired and do their frigging job.

They should just get better explanations than these "tired" ones which are more than a little annoying.

Yeah but the fact is that we play much more games in the premiership and domestic trophies than are played in the other european leagues, therefore national teams with most of the players based on one of those leagues have an advantage.

Obviously France annd other teams have a few players in the premiership, but not nearly as many as we do. Only beckham and hargreaves are abroad as far as I know.

I think its pretty reasonable, and its just part of the pressure most managers in england like to put on the FA to get rid of the Milk Cup (or whatever its called now) and to reduce the premiership size.

Yes perhaps "dismal" was a bit harsh, perhaps I should have used dissapointing instead. Actually I just looked at the FIFA world rackings and england is rated 12th while Japan is 25th. Not as great a difference as I thought.

Been lurking a while, but registered and here we go!

I agree with scouser - there's no excuse. Erikson was going on about how they were tired from practising hard in the morning. So why the hell did they do that then? Surely they wanted to give their best out there playing Japan?

After that first 25 minutes, they were outplayed by Japan.

Another thing - about the English being objective about their teams performance. Have to taken a look at the English press?? They don't hold back if they think something is shite. They have their knives waiting.

cool.gif

Good atmosphere in there, not quite full, surprising number of Japanese in there.

First 20 mins or so was good. Then they fell asleep. Most people round me were surprised at how good the Japan team where, some seemingly thought it would be a walkover. Far from it.

I managed to download the game and thought it was pretty bad. The English midfield hit some pretty passes, but most of the time they just sit there and wait for someone else to win the ball. On Japan's goal, all four midfielders are standing in a line ball-watching when the ball gets played forward to Alex. Alex and Shunsuke outplayed every English player.

Terry is no Rio, but it looks like he's up for it.

As a Newcastle fan, it's nice to see one of our lot, the King of Bling himself, wor Kieron get a game, but he's not very good, is he.

I reckon the FA should have told Sven to sling his hook earlier this year when he blackmailed them for more money. Now McLaren's won the Worthless Cup he's as qualified as Hodd, Keegan or Graham Taylor were. Get Cloughie in to help him.

Hey, I didn't know this until just now, but the England vs Iceland game is on telly tonight.

Same channel as the Japan game, 2:50am.

clap.gif or " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" /> as the case may well be, ne.