When Microsoft tells me theres a Windows update...

I get this quite a lot in Windows XP. At the bottom right theres a lil message telling me theres some Windows update. I never know whether I should/shoudln't.

Are they all ok to download or is it possible some shithead is impersonating MS.

Cheers

I'm a bit lost with them too. Clicking on the explanation don't help much either unless your a computer geekoid.

Do you understand them all Ocean11. Sometimes Ive clicked on the link to read about it and I havent got a clue what its going on about. As per what rach is saying.

Microsoft has a Windows update page that is remarkably clear and easy to understand. The content of the update page is what gets automatically installed on your computer, if you have the function activated. Some of it is simple functional upgrades to media player or whatever and some of it is critical security patches to Explorer or other system elements. If it's a big problem, it's often mentioned right on the front page of the MS site and in Yahoo news.

You don't have to be able to understand Japanese - just look at the US site. The content is the same. One of my clients also sends me hysterical emails asking me to update for the security issues. These usually come about 3 days after I updated automatically.