I often find cold and limp worth a 2nd look when I'm ****ing starving, especially if there's some beer to wash it down.

The ones you get at big train stations seem to be the least objectionable.

I remember seeing some dudes eating what looked like a cold hamburger type thing in a tin foil type box. With some sad looking "salad" and a cold carrot. Looked awful. Was that one of these bento things?

I don't mind about cold bento. I like Kiyoken no Shuumai bento with beer for baseball watchig at Yokohama stadium! ;\)

I'm wondering why only Japanese eat cold food in hot summer. Yes, some asian countries have cold food like spring roll in Vietnam, reimen in Korea. But usually they eat hot and spicy food.

Why we prefer cold food in summer?

Australians eat clod stuff in summer.

1. Beer is the coldest in the world

2. often we eat cold meats in summer ( that have been left to cool rather than straight from the oven)

So, it's not just Japan.

This is probably American Bento, but I lived 3 houses from a 'Bento' place in Corvallis, Oregon. The chef didn't speak a lick of English. You had to point at the menu and hold fingers up to let him know the quantity you wanted. It was awesome! Great for a college campus. Guess what? The place was called "BENTO". I always thought it was the guys name \:D

I used to hate them but there are a few locally that I really like now. It took a while to get round to eating cold tempura like things and cold burgers, but there's on in particular that I actually look forward to now when the office gets them in.