Just about to crack open the first beer of the evening before the first footie game of the evening.... got some boring Kirins and an Ebisu in there.

Can't remember if this has been covered before like this, but what are your picks of normal (ie widely available) Japanese beers?

Kirin Classic Lager or Kirin Lager is about all I can stand these days. It's the only one with a decent bite and no ghastly aftertaste. Ebisu is too sweet.

Most of these 'special' brews in nicely packaged bottles are bland and forgettable, besides being overpriced.

Off topic, but what the hell - I had some 'Sumiyoshi' super dry sake tonight from Yamagata. It went very well with blue cheese and salad.

i am in norway right now (i have left japan) but killing some time in internet cafe.

you have to try YONA YONA ALE from Karuizawa, Nagano. You can order it online and you get a case for 260yen a can inc postage. if you can find it draft it is like pure heaven. i only know two places that do it on tap though.

Norway! Good country. best of luck in your travels and photography Mr12.

Of the J beers, I used to buy Kirin classic, but i think that was because I liked the design on the tin. I also didn't mind some Sapporo brews but cant remember which ones. For the most I am quite an ignorant beer drinker at the best of times.

I feel like getting pissed.

When I first came, I latched onto Sapporo Black Label - because I liked the design. Apart from that I thought all the beers pretty much tasted exactly the same.

Asahi Super Dry???? nah mate. Try Ginga Kogen (I think the spelling is correct). local Chiba brewery I think. nice drop and a class above ASahi or the other generic Japanese beers.

Still miss my Speights though mate!!! \:D

At the local izakaya tonight, the guy next to me was putting ice in his mug and pouring beer in it. Ok. I asked him why, he said it creates a better head on top.

Hmm..

I tried it, it works. Weird but true.

In Singapore they put ice in beer as a matter of course. Gotta drink it quick before the ice waters down the beer. In very hot weather it can be OK, but it's really something to be done for lack of anything better.

Here you go Scouser...Heres some FAQ's I found about SPEIGHTS..Definitely an aquired taste and best served COLD unlike in Liverpool as I've heard.....Some people describe it as like making love on a boat...(i.e ****ing close to water) but I disagree wholeheartedly...Its a great brew..However the book (see below) will put you to sleep faster than counting sheep!

Q. Where can I find Speight's outside New Zealand?

A. Speight's is not currently commercially exported. However the popularity of the product has made it available through some wholesalers around the world. It has been located in Australia, the USA, the UK and Europe. We recommend that you contact local or national alcohol retailers/wholesalers or breweries to attempt to source Speight's.

Q. How can I get Speight's Labels and Coasters?

A. We will be happy to send you some labels and coasters. However with the large demand for these we do require a postage paid addressed envelope that is valid within New Zealand.

Q. How can I purchase Speight's Merchandise?

A. Speight's has a wide range of gear including clothing, posters, bar stock, and giftware available through the Speight's Shop in the Brewery at 200 Rattray Street, Dunedin. If you would like to purchase any gear please enquire with reservations, which can forward a product listing. Note postage orders will incur a postage and packaging fee.

Q. How can I find out more about Speight's and its history?

A. The book "Speight's: The Story of Dunedin's Historic Brewery" by Donald Gordon (1993) is available through most major libraries within New Zealand.

Q. Can I purchase beer at the Brewery?

A. We do offer the opportunity to Bottle your Own Speights, in which you prepare, bottle and label the product into a wooden display case. However we do not sell Speight's commercially to the public. This can be obtained through a variety of Liquor outlets, public bars and supermarkets.

Thanks, interesting.

\:\)

Quote:
...and best served COLD.... unlike in Liverpool as I've heard..
You heard wrong.

I'm sure you can find warm beer if you really want to (!?), and I believe my grandad might have drunk some in his time, but there ain't any in the many places I went to over summer (same previous years). It's a very out of date cliche.

Cher mate was just jesting really!...I'm the only kiwi in my ofice working with a load of your lot..well London wideboys (shandy drinking Southern fairys actually).....I get so much banter directed at me (i.e sheep and Colonial outpost based stuff)...its good to give a bit back..(even if it is over the SJ forums) Have been heard the streets up your way have been getting a bit of spraypainting in the last few days....?...its a big deal in the Sun today!????

Also I must admit Maori boys comment s so accurate its actually scary...thats a brilliant description....They used to have this ad where a bloke shows a pic. of his new Mrs to his old man...and starts crapping on about how her father drives a Merc, owns a forty foot yacht in Auckland harbour, has a bad cough etc etc...then finally he says.."She doesn't drink Speights though Dad"...to which his retorts "Its a hard road finding the perfect woman son!"....Obviously I enjoyed that ad until it was revealed that in real life this hard ass Southern Man was as bent as the Russian sickle...!Disappointing to say the least for the Speights Marketing team!......

Superb

Piss

Enjoyed

In

Great

Hotels

Throughout

Southland

or so I was told, my friends who drank it never called it speights, the always referred to it as "Tristar" or "three star" for the 3 star badge in the middle of the sticker.

gold2.gif

Never really drank it myself its a run of the mill mediocre Draft beer. Lion Red, DB, Canterbury Draught, Speights et al are all mediocre brown water to keep the masses happy in farm pubs and sports bars.

I would rather have a Monteiths or Macs, or Dux deluxe (great bar and micro brewery 35 metres from my old house in ChCh) beer.

Beer is like skiing, I want to ride in Hakuba not Hyogo.

getting back back to Japanese beers, I have yet to be impressed with anything I would write home about. I havent really tried that hard to find any good beers to tell the truth.

I miss Colarado Beers, locally made ales - tasty stuff.