Rasp%20pavlova.jpg

A kind of merange (sp?) baked dessert made from egg whites, its light and soft with a crust.

Often covered in whipped cream and berries or fruit - kiwifruit no less.

Its traditionally eaten at Christmas dinner in NZ.

My late granny (born in 1900) made a "real pavlova" from her early marriage days - 1920+.

It wasn't the half cake type that seems to have originated in NZ.

It was the simple hollow meringue crust type which was less complicated. Ozzies always looking for the easy way surely had a finger in it's development. Always filled with fresh cream and always topped with passion fruit. She said a real pavlova must have passion fruit.

Gran always said the skill in the making was just enough kindling in the fire box to maintain the even temperature of the wood fired oven.

I think the argument of who made it first is a bit like saying the French invented roast chicken coz they wrote the recipe down. ;\)

My mum's pavs always looked pretty much like that - Kabooom!

I think I may have some of that Pavlova Magic stuff in my shoe-cleaning box - I put it on my shoes before I go out to hit up new clients. It's good stuff!

I'll second that. Clients take one look at my shoes, that Pavlovian magic does its stuff, they start to dribble, and say "Let's give this boy some work!"

I want it known that people from NZ can take no credit whatsoever for that.

>>kamo is the first and only nationalistic NZer I've e

I recommend that you visit the country and sound like an Australian. Pretty fast you will find that Japan is an open arms country and that NZ also invented the chip on the shoulder and the complex de inferiority.

Any nation that nicknames themselves 'Godzone' needs to rethink. Don't you think it is a touch too close to sounding like a wacky religious state? Don't you think that it is based on an irrational fake concept? Or does the 'God' infer that it is the greatest place on Earth.... a self granted lofty compliment? I think lofty compliments are best bestowed by others, not by yourself.

As for the cake... ummm, its a cake....

NZ is a great little island. So much packed into it. If only some of the people who live there would just calm down and let it speak for itself.

oh, if you visit and pretend to be Australian then also pretend to like rugby, otherwise no one will talk to you anyway and the experiment will have failed.

(sorry, this bitter torrent stems from me having the worst 2 weeks of my life in NZ. I am still twisted by the rudeness and mono-mindedness of those that I met. However as I have said on the forum before: the best looking 20 years old strippers/table dancers I have ever seen anywhere in my life was in Auckland. I take my hat of to NZ! The quality of their dirty women is supreme! For what it is worth, over 2 years in Japan I did not visit one strip club of any description, so perhaps I would hold a different opinion if I did)

Quote:
Originally posted by kamo:
Finally! Australia has admitted that Pavlova originated in New Zealand.
\:\)

(A small victory in the who gives a toss category, but we will take it nonetheless)
Only cause now they feel sufficiently superior after athens!

pav is so yeeeeuuum! clap.gif

Good to hear about the dirty girls db. No doubt, I remember seeing a massagee parlour in Auckland on a trip back a few years back advertising 'spunky pakeha girls!' :p . But there's so much more to NZ than that, and mores the pity you got bugged out. There are plenty of ******s in NZ, like anywhere, but heaps of well cool people as well. Sounds like you didn't meet any of the good kiwis that I run into constantly when I'm home, or, abroad for that matter.

Nowhere's paradise though and NZ has plenty of problems including the 'chip on the shoulder' worn by quite a few ignorant pricks. Having said that db I've met a few Aussies with a whole bag of spuds weighing them down lol.gif . NZrs have a thing about Australia because it's larger, more economically powerful and our closest neighbour. Funny in the bigger picture, cause Aussie is just a 'striving to be' mid-level power in the world. Some people have inferiority complexes and you get that regionally as well in NZ, again, like anywhere.

On a final note I'd like to add "Harden up you bloody aussie woofter!" lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif You never like anywhere you visit unless its Paris anyway. Get a big bagette up ya \:D

Quote:
kamo is the first and only nationalistic NZer I've encountered
Do I really come across that way? I am really that bad? \:\( I guess I shall put a lid on it.
What made you say that? the claiming Taupo for the biggest volcanic eruption? this Pav story?
Maybe I should say whats wrong with the country (which I thought I did more of anyway? I bagged it in the Canada Day thread, customs thread, Anthems thread) and there is plenty wrong with place believe me. I wont - noone wants to hear me crap on.

Quote:
Man, that pic of the Pav looks like a bomb has hit it!
that was a google image search, and its an English Pav in that picture :p

Quote:
NZ also invented the chip on the shoulder and the complex de inferiority.
Granted I have met some real rednecks with blocks not chips, unfortuneately in the South Island, if you think they were rough on you, you should see how they are with people from Auckland.

I take any jibs jibes low blows on the chin from Australians, I wear a tie with a sheep on it at work. Yes I will turn out the light ins NZ when I am the last NZer to leave and head across the Tasman.

Quote:
Any nation that nicknames themselves 'Godzone' needs to rethink
I have always thought it was a strange name, I used to think it was "Gods own"
Makes me cringe too. I occassionally use it as a joke to laugh at my countries perculiarness

Quote:
As for the cake... ummm, its a cake....
geez man! as for the thread... ummm its only a thread!, tongue in cheek, did I not have Smiley or two up there? I saw the article and thought it would be a cool little distraction thread.A bit of light hearted banter between the antipedeons on this forum. I am glad most who participated thought so.

Quote:
If only some of the people who live there would just calm down and let it speak for itself.
Hint taken.

Righto, since I am going to shut up about the funny little country at the bottom of the world now I have to get in these few last words while I have one last chance before I disappear.
Phar Lap the Greatest racehorse ever - hes a NZ horse, born and bred just down the road from my parents.
Richard Pearse (from the same place as Phar Lap incidently)- First man to fly a powered aeroplane, wasnt the first "controlled flight" i.e Wright Brothers, but flew longer, higher and further but washed out the landing i.e crashed. Nevertheless it was the first real flight of any description.

Good! right then, the Nationalist has been silenced and I am off.

yeah kamo, stick to threads about sheep.......(that's a jib, jibe and a low blow... ;\) )

I do love a good pav though. But last night my little (pregnant) wifey made me a chocolate mousse flan, and it was YUMMY !!!! \:D If someone can tell me how to upload a pic, I'll show you all how good it looked.

thanks big will. No luck with that though, I've put it in the 'too hard basket' for now - let me try again later. is it just me, or do other people struggle with the picture/avatar thing at this site (mind you, I do notice lots of other putting up pics, so maybe it is just me...... confused.gif ).

Anyway, I'm outta here and going to watch finding Nemo, again.....

Just you.

It's simple - just read the instructions.

------

Can I display images within my post?

You can display any image that is already on the internet within your post on the forums.

The simplest way to do this is to click on the IMAGE button (which can be found below the ADD NEW TOPIC or ADD REPLY button.) A small popup window will appear. Simply paste or type in the full URL address for the image you want to appear. For example, http://www.snowjapan.com/image.jpg. Once you've done that, click on OK and the correct code should automatically appear in your post.

Alternatively, manually type before the URL of the image and after the URL.

Please note that all images need to already be 'on the internet' for you to be able to display them in your post.

Remember that you can upload up to 20 photos to your own Insider (Members) page on Snow Japan - for free! Absolutely no cost! Just create your member page and upload images at any time via your Insider Control Panel. Once the images are on your member page, you can then post them on the forums for all to see!

Click on the Insider (Members) link at the top of this page to get started.

You obviously didn't look very hard then did you Indo...

arzu-pavlova-3.jpg

kamo, I do get that feeling. It's fatuous to list snippets about your country / town / village as if any of it mattered. Because somebody somewhere else has surely done something equally fab, and if it isn't you who actually did the amazing thing, it seems dishonest to take pride in it just because you happen to come from the same place. Smiley or no smiley.

But, whatever. It's harmless enough. But when reports emerge of death camps in Darwin filled with skeletal New Zealanders peering through the barbed wire, and Pavlova is NOT on the menu, don't come crying to me.

--------------

ps. I'm glad you started this thread. It's been a reet laff.