I was too pretty damn close to it for my liking. I was out jogging and I thought wow I am feeling a little wobbly here! maybe I should have a breather. Then I heard a violent banging noise from the polycarb sheet balcony roof of a nearby very old two story apartment building.It sounded like a dozen people were running across it.

Then the shaking really started I could see the ground swaying -quite freaky, a housewife came bolting out of the apartment building and stood beside me shaking and muttering kowai.

The second one was bigger and my soon to be painted apartment building shook violently, so violently I rushed into the bedroom grabbed the boy and bolted outside, I do not trust this building at all. I dont need a Kobe Pancake.

Quite a lot of seismic activity going on in the archipelago eh wot? Asama-san erupting and all. Geologists, does this presage one of those really big earthquakes or eruptions somewhere?

I was woken up by some mild shaking at around 3am too.

I saw a special on NHK back in April right when I moved up here to Kobe and it said that there were 2-3 Magnitude 4ish earthquakes before the big Hanshin. And, if Kinki doesnt have at least 4-5 semi-big earthquakes per year then a bigger quake will ensue (like the great Hanshin). Im hoping last nights will offset that some... Earthquakes are freaky eek.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
does this presage one of those really big earthquakes or eruptions somewhere?
to be honest I dont think anyone really knows, hot shots in the seismic business will spout some theories, that another will debunk and propose another model etc etc. The margin for error on any prediction is fairly huge.
Increased activity could be a lead up to something else or it could be the whole event in itself. I remember in about 2000 I felt 5 or so good quakes, Uzo in Hokkaido erupted, Miyakojima erupted, there was a alot of activity then that died off in '01, '02 but in '03 there was a lot of seismic action in Tohuku.

But the mistake is to measure geological forces in human time, two years and no quakes means nothing, two years is 2 nanoseconds to the geological scheme. 150 years is barely a heartbeat to the earth.

I am glad about 1 thing here & that's the fact that most buildings are built to take earthquakes.

That first one was a 6.8 and the 2nd a 7.3! In December 89 in Newcastle a 5.9 flattened the place!

Kamo, I too, was on my way up the stairs to get my son and get the hell outta there!

Earthquakes rattle western Japan

06:04 AEST Mon Sep 6 2004

AP - Two powerful earthquakes hit western Japan, rattling several major cities and triggering tsunami waves.

At least four people were injured, news reports said, but no damage was immediately reported.

A quake measuring 6.8 on the Richter Scale hit western Japan shortly after 7pm (2000 AEST), followed five hours later by a more powerful 7.3-magnitude quake, the Meteorological Agency said.

The quakes were felt most powerfully in sparsely populated areas of Wakayama prefecture (state) about 450km west of Tokyo. But they also rattled the major cities of Osaka, Kyoto and Nagoya, and caused buildings to sway in Tokyo.

Both quakes were centred far off Japan's Pacific coast, which may have minimised damage. The first quake was centred about 110km off the coast of Wakayama on the Kii peninsula and 10km beneath the ocean floor.

The second was centred about 130km off the coast of Kochi prefecture, also 10km below the seabed.

Ha ha kamo I was jogging too. First time in two months so I thought it was me cause I'd just stopped for a red light. We were all under the table for the second one although that prolly isn't much use.

Quote:
Originally posted by xxx:
This was worst in Mie right?
Wakayama was a five on the J-scale, Mie, Nara and Osaka and a bunch of others were 4.

Here is the scale from Wikipedia

The Japan Meterological Agency seismic intensity scale is used in Japan to measure the strength of earthquakes. Unlike the Richter scale (which measures the total magnitude of the earthquake) the JMA scale describes the degree of shaking at a point on the Earth's surface, so the size of the earthquake may be described as "4 JMA in Tōkyō".

The JMA operates a network of 180 seismographs and 600 seismic intensity meters and provides real-time earthquake reports to the media and on the internet (Japanese page)
[edit]

JMA Scale Explanation

The JMA Scale runs from 0 to 7, with 7 being the strongest. Sometimes roman numerals are used, however this is not the usual practice in Japan. The real-time reports are calculated automatically from measurments of ground acceleration. (Note 1 gal = 0.1 m/s² = 1/980 g)

7 - In most buildings, wall tiles and windowpanes are damaged and fall. In some cases, reinforced concrete-block walls collapse. Peak ground acceleration greater than 400 gal

6 upper - In many buildings, wall tiles and windowpanes are damaged and fall. Most unreinforced concrete-block walls collapse. 315 -- 400 gal

6 lower - In some buildings, wall tiles and windowpanes are damaged and fall. 250 -- 315 gal

5 upper - In many cases, unreinforced concrete-block walls collapse and tombstones overturn. Many automobiles stop due to difficulty in driving. Occasionally, poorly installed vending machines fall. 140 -- 250 gal

5 lower - Most people try to escape from danger, some finding it difficult to move. 80 -- 140 gal

4 - Many people are frightened. Some people try to escape from danger. Most sleeping people awake. 25 -- 80 gal

3 - Felt by most people in the building. Some people are frightened. 8 -- 25 gal

2 - Felt by many people in the building. Some sleeping people awake. 2.5 -- 8 gal

1 - Felt by only some people in the building. 0.8 -- 2.5 gal

0 - Imperceptible to people. Less than 0.8 gal

> Some people are frightened

That's pretty funny. In the Hanshin earthquake, I thought I was going to die, but I wasn't frightened.

Now when things start shaking, I invariably wake up, however faint it is, and think "In the next few moments or days, I may lose all my possessions, or my loved ones, and I may be burned to death, trapped in the ruins of my house". But nobody would know by looking at me that I was frightened. So what magnitude of earthquake would that be...

Scary and exciting at the same time. The Hanshin earthquake was definately the scariest experience of my life, yet undeniably very exciting as well. Sounded like a subway train arriving at the platform in my bedroom. These latest ones are tiddlers by comparison. Had another one this morning which was fairly exciting as I was 26 floors up at the time. The building was creaking like a ship at sea for a minute or so after the quake finished.